The Watch Site banner

1 - 20 of 100 Posts

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Been a couple through Yahoo Japan through the years, but this about the nicest one I've seen.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Strange, that link is not opening on eBay when I click it, its opening to viglink.com

Adblock plus,
or Ublock Origin -with as many block lists as you can bear to have enabled.
The reality of the internet is advertising is the virus/malware block it all and don't apologize for it.

I remember this one from back in 2015, didn't catch it this time around, 6105's are completely off the radar with today's prices...

·
Special Member
2,627 Posts
From Seiko's Prospex site: History of Seiko Divers:

"Reliability at the North and South Poles, and in every extreme environment"

"Since 1966, Seiko has been chosen four times to accompany Japanese Antarctic Research Expedition on its research missions. More recently, numerous adventurers and explorers have taken Seiko to the summit of Mount Everest and all the world's major peaks, proving the value of experience in making watches that are designed for every extreme."

It looks like the 6105-8110 DVDP 1973 watch that just sold was one of those that went on those missions.

Seiko's 1st Diver 6217 62MAS was used by the Japanese Antarctic Research Expedition in 1966.

Most recently Seiko produced a run of Limited Edition of 250 Titanium Samurai's with a Special Dial that was Printed by Seiko for the JARE Antarctica Expedition. 250 were made in Black and 250 of the Orange.

Seiko Titanium Samurai SBDA001 Black JARE Watch

Japan Antarctica Research Expedition JARE

Seiko Titanium Samurai SBDA005 Orange JARE Watch

From researching Seiko's long history with Japan's Antarctic Expeditions I discovered that there are actually 2 Different but Similar Seiko 6105-8110 DVDP Antarctica Watches that were produced in the 1970's. Many people have never even heard of them because there are so few remaining in existence. According to another member he has only seen 4 other DVDP for sale in the last 23 years. From what I have been able to gather the first 6105-8110 Antarctica watch was the DVDP 1973 and the second was a later DVDP 1971-76 produced for Japan's Research Mission that lasted for 6 years. From all accounts both of these watches were limited to only 100 made and were given to Antarctica Expedition Team Members from Japan, USA, and New Zealand. They were never for sale or available for purchase.

Photo of the Seiko 6105-8110 DVDP 1973 that just sold on eBay

Closeup with DVDP1973 text on the Dial

Photo of a Seiko 6105-8110 DVDP 1971-76 that was sold on Yahoo Japan

·
Registered
7,612 Posts
Thanks for the info Kyle. The one that sold was a real beauty in excellent condition, original strap too. I'll retract my understanding that it was on eBay over the last year or so but that one previously I seem to remember was in great condition.

I'm not sure how I feel about the additional text when it's for specific team of people or commemoration, then again I'm not a huge fan of the scubapro text so I'm probably the wrong person to ask. With that said the text used for the DVDP is in itself quite appealing (compared to the others you've posted) and clearly extremely rare. Lot o money, though.....
:)

·
Special Member
2,627 Posts
The Dry Valleys Drilling Project (DVDP) was a Scientific Research Mission which explored Antarctica in 1973. The DVDP was an International Project between scientists from Japan, New Zealand, and the United States. It was funded principally by the United States Science Foundation, Office of Polar Programs, the Japanese National Institute of Polar Research, and the New Zealand Department of Scientific and Industrial Research.

Japan Antarctica Research Expedition JARE 14 Dry Valley Drilling Project 1973

Scientist working at the DVDP Camp in 1973

1 - 20 of 100 Posts