The Watch Site banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On several occasions in the past year or so, I have come close to buying one of the old Seiko 7548 quartz divers watches to go with my existing stable of automatic 6105's and 6309's. However, the 7548's generally cost a fair bit more than run of the mill slim case 6309's of the same era, and I never found one meeting the right balance of condition and price. Then about a month or so ago, I saw a 7548-700B on Ebay, looking rather forlorn and which was described as 'needing service, battery'. I took this to mean anything from 'it needs a new movement' to 'it needs a service' to 'it needs a battery' but it otherwise looked in decent nick and so worth a punt. £37 sealed the deal plus another £13 postage and about 10 days later I received it. Here are two of the seller's photos:

The watch appeared generally in very sound condition, sporting plenty of scratches and a couple of dinks on the case and bezel, a clearly trashed insert, lots of crud but a beautiful dial with lovely honeyed markers and hands that while not in perfect condition, were perfectly serviceable. The first thing I did on receiving the watch was to replace the battery and much to my relief is sprang into life.

So, with an apparently healthy movement, all that was needed was a clean, case refinish, new insert and crystal and gaskets all round. While I had been waiting for the watch to arrive, I had found a decent, but not mint SKX009 insert, and had also bought a new 6309 crown from Cousins. The crystal I ordered after receiving the watch and in the end I opted for a flat, AR coated sapphire from Harold, to keep it looking as original as possible.

Let's begin then. Out with my Dad's old Shell Marine penknife and off with the bezel:

Plenty of muck in there. The innerds of the bezel look pretty grim:

The insert is removed by inserting a scalpel blade between it and the bezel from the underneath and gradually working around the bezel until it works free:

The insert is now free from the bezel and can be added to the huge pile of old Seiko parts accumulating in my parts drawer:

The final part of this process is to remove the gasket which usually, on a watch of this age looks like this:

and here's some of the dirt liberated from the bezel:

Let's return to the case, which appears pretty filthy too:

and in this shot we can see both the cut-out on the crystal retaining ring to aid removal as well as the somewhat battered state of the lugs:

A better view of the retaining ring cutout:

A knife blade into the cutout and gently lever the retaining ring off the case

Next, out comes the movement, movement ring, crown and stem:

Before moving on to the case, I decide to replace the crown, which, while in reasonable condition, is a bit knocked about. First job is to separate the male and female parts of the stem, taking care not to lose the washer at the end of the spring:

In order to replace the crown, we now have to separate the male part of the stem from the crown itself. This requires a needle vice to secure the stem, whilst turning the crown anti-clockwise:

Here's the new crown on the left and the old on the right:

and the whole lot reassembled:

That washer is important because otherwise the stem will not sit straight on its own accord.

The next job is to remove the crystal, crystal gasket, gasket retaining ring and chapter ring:

and we are finally ready to tackle the case. The first part of the exercise involves the use of pegwood sticks to remove most of the grime. Here we see the case, partly cleaned, with a goodish view of a significant ding on the lower right lug:

Having got rid of most of the dirt with the sticks, we now brake out the tooth brush and Colgate:

Here's that troublesome lug, in the process of being reworked:

How do we do this. Well, this might seem a bit brutal, and it does take a bit of courage the first time, but this is my method of choice:

I'll spare you the rest of that process, which is rather time-consuming and tedious, yet somehow therapeutic. Here's the case post trauma, with a satin finish to the top, and a polished finish to the sides and back:

Right, now we are ready to reassemble. Or we would be if we had that crystal. After a 5 day wait for the rather excellent Hong Kong postal service to do its stuff, the crystal arrives and we are ready to continue. Here's the refinished case, the chapter ring, gasket ring and crystal gasket:

In they go:

On with the rather lovely new sapphire crystal (with a frosted bevel - nice):

So far, all that is required is finger pressure, but the crystal retaining ring needs a crystal press to get it back on:

In goes the movement, crown and stem with some lubrication for the new crown gasket, a fresh case back gasket and on with the case back:

The bezel snaps on with firm finger pressure, following the fitment of a fresh, greased gasket:

The only things that remain are the new pepsi insert, a set of 22mm fat spring bars and a new rubber strap:

I like this one a lot!

Martin

·
Registered
55 Posts
hi martin,

i really must say i very much enjoy seeing your restoration projects! they give us inspiration and makes my own projects more interesting! the toughest thing for me is having patience while rounding up the parts to finish a project.
your end results are quite impressive and thanks for taking the time to post these pictorials!

all the best from the tropical south pacific!

janice ;)

·
Registered
9,869 Posts
Post like this and the 6139 restore post are what make watch forums great! Thanks for that fascinating tour through the reviving of this SEIKO!

·
Registered
220 Posts
Fantastic restoration! The case finishing and polishing are particularly nice; I need to learn how to do that!

O

·
0 Posts
:iagree: Fantastic job on a great watch, thanks for top class review.

OtherJohnUK

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
That was a RESTORATION! :bravo_2:

I really liked this thread. fully documented and outstanding work! Two thumbs up! :clap:

·
Registered
36 Posts
Excellent, what a transformation ! I was luckier with the condition of the 7546 I bought. Sadly it stopped working the same day it arrived. Eventually I plucked up the courage to take it apart. Nothing ventured - nothing gained. All it needed was the tracks on the underside of the circuit board cleaning up. They're a nice looking watch once they're up and running. Fractionally smaller and slimmer than my SKX007 but pleasing to look at nevertheless. The only thing I'm not too happy with is the fact there's no ratchet action on the bezel. It just turns. Apparently this is normal. So I'm told. But if you know differently . . . .

·
Registered
345 Posts
Magician said:
Excellent, what a transformation ! I was luckier with the condition of the 7546 I bought. Sadly it stopped working the same day it arrived. Eventually I plucked up the courage to take it apart. Nothing ventured - nothing gained. All it needed was the tracks on the underside of the circuit board cleaning up. They're a nice looking watch once they're up and running. Fractionally smaller and slimmer than my SKX007 but pleasing to look at nevertheless. The only thing I'm not too happy with is the fact there's no ratchet action on the bezel. It just turns. Apparently this is normal. So I'm told. But if you know differently . . . .

Maybe it's missing the click ball? If so they are readily available on ebay.

·
Registered
6,327 Posts
wow makes me want to tackle my new watch and make it look new again

·
Registered
117 Posts
Restoration

Great Restoration...one never knows what creativity comes out of this forum. time and time again
Andy Westerbaan
:bowing:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts