The Watch Site banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
Don't think this one is a fake as such, the dial, bezel/insert & case look legit to me.
The crystal is possibly real too (seem to remember some 5s with the logo on the glass) but just not from this model and i have no idea what's caused the discolouration on the hands - water ingress would be my first guess but it hasn't touched the dial lume as far as i can see.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Register since 2004. Rating 99.8%. Last negative feedback about what that coin ...)

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
caseback certainly looks wrong to me...

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Don't think this one is a fake as such, the dial, bezel/insert & case look legit to me.
The crystal is possibly real too (seem to remember some 5s with the logo on the glass) but just not from this model and i have no idea what's caused the discolouration on the hands - water ingress would be my first guess but it hasn't touched the dial lume as far as i can see.
Dial is not original, text font on the dial bottom is wrong
second hand don't look original too
the seiko 5 mark on crystal is totally wrong too, shouldn't be there!

·
Registered
79 Posts
Sadly there are fakes and there are good fakes that are functional, here in the Philippines you have to be careful if you want an original ot authentic dive watch, the watchmaker with a stand in our town plaza sells functional fakes, they buy skx cases that are brand new from who knows where and engine it up with overhauled 7s26 movements. And lo and behold these functional fakes can pass the water resistance rating tests no problem. Keep good time and are tough as nails, even as good as the originals. They tell me that they buy the cases for PhP 2,000.00 (USD 50.00) a new, I do not know where they get it, 7s26 movement or overhauled movement for PhP 500.00 or 600.00 (USD 10 or 12) and assemble it up. You will have to admire the craftsmanship and technical skill of these watch makers, lume is good and they sell each at around PhP 3,500.00(USD 83.00). I also saw a fake that came out of hong kong but the quality is inferior to the functional fakes made here.

That must have come out of hong kong or china.

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
Dial is not original, text font on the dial bottom is wrong
second hand don't look original too
the seiko 5 mark on crystal is totally wrong too, shouldn't be there!
Dial text looks the same as on my legit (bought from AD) 007 and so does the second hand hand apart from the discolouration.

I agree it has an incorrect crystal fitted but that's the only thing i can see wrong with it.

I'm happy to be corrected if others agree it's a fake but it would be good enough to fool me if it is.

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
caseback certainly looks wrong to me...
Hmmmm... just had a closer look at the caseback and the stamping does look a little different to mine

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
here's my SKX009J in comparison to this , check carefully the text font on the bottom next to "MADE IN JAPAN",
check also the text font "DIVER'S 200m", the second hand on mine is quite different too.

Attachments

·
Registered
331 Posts
Look at the fine text around 6 o'clock on the real one and then look at the Feiko. The fake uses much thicker lettering, and they got the DIVERS font wrong too. El crapola.

·
Registered
4,916 Posts
The most obvious thing is that, if it doesn't say 21 jewels on the dial , it shouldn't say made in Japan on the dial.
The lume looks very hinky too. Not to mention the day date font is miles out and the gap between them is not good either.

·
Super Moderator
2,059 Posts
Im no expert but isnt the dial code wrong? Seiko always put the full caliber no on the dial, but did they ever put the full case number on it as well? Shouldn't the dial no be 002R TG 2 not 0020 TG2?

·
Registered
4,916 Posts
I think it's 002R R2 on a "K" - but my 007J is 002L R2. It likely varies depending on place of manufacture.

·
Super Moderator
2,059 Posts
I think it's 002R R2 on a "K" - but my 007J is 002L R2. It likely varies depending on place of manufacture.
Yes i think you are right, the 007K doesn't have "Made in Japan" written on the dial and is coded 002R the 007J does have "made in Japan "written on the dial and is coded 002L.

This follows with the 7002 series that i do know a little bit about.
7002 7001's JDM all have a jewel count on the dial and have "Made in Japan" at the bottom with dial code 700l, the Singapore made 7002's dont have the jewel count and dont have "Made in Japan" at the bottom of the dial and are coded 700r

The watch in question doesnt have L or R just 0020, To me that spells fake.
What does the R2 or TG mean at the end?

Oh dear i think im becoming an anorak:(

·
Registered
4,916 Posts
I think it refers to hand height. Edit - I think it's the numeral that is for hand height eg see page 4 -

Attachments

·
Registered
4,916 Posts
I edited my post.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts