The Watch Site banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Administrator
33,827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been envious of a couple of 7548-700C TST mods that guys have and wanted one for myself ever since.

Thanks greatly to another member i picked one up from the Japanese auction site, well worn but running superb and the case even though well worn was in superb condition thread and corrosion wise (saving that in case i ever want to switch back), chapter ring a little faded so i used a spare i had and the hands were not great so sourced replacements.

So parts used,
  • 6309-7290 TST case.
  • NOS Orange chapter ring from Pete in OZ.
  • NOS set of hands from Stefan.
  • The original faded second hand.
  • Spare bezel I had in the draw.
  • MK2 shroud with a "Big" crown.
  • Large, made for Citizen sapphire crystal, modified the after market retaining ring slightly for this.
  • Original 700C case back.
  • New gaskets.
  • Original dial relumed by James Hyman to match the hands.
  • Seiko rubber band with metal keeper, don't know what model it's from.

·
Researcher
5,311 Posts
That's halloweentastic mate ! :)

·
Craftsman
4,028 Posts
Very Nice John! Someday I hope to be able to swing a TST.

·
Registered
117 Posts
John, you make it sound SOooo- easy !!
(but then coming from the guy who actually makes the TSTs what else can we expect?)

I join in total approval : it's an absolute beauty, and you do make a convincing argument in favor of relume and restoring to an "all new" look vs the (misplaced) cult of vintage look or "wabi".

One question and two comments :

Question> what's the "MK2 TST" ? are there different shrouds manufactured in the depth of darkest UK? ...with different shapes, base material or finish??

Comment 1> the "large" crown is entirely yours to choose of course... I would still point out that it looks very slippery therefore pretty well impossible to use in real life conditions setting the watch pre-dive with cold (or even wet?) fingers... arguably not what this watch is made for, but hey, it's still supposed to be a "diver", right?

Comment 2> not to revive a dangerous recent controversy, but... what screws did you use on that shroud??? :) :) :) :)

Bravo, I still wonder when you take time to eat, sleep or even... well, you know ;)

·
Administrator
33,827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
John, you make it sound SOooo- easy !!
(but then coming from the guy who actually makes the TSTs what else can we expect?)

I join in total approval : it's an absolute beauty, and you do make a convincing argument in favor of relume and restoring to an "all new" look vs the (misplaced) cult of vintage look or "wabi".

One question and two comments :

Question> what's the "MK2 TST" ? are there different shrouds manufactured in the depth of darkest UK? ...with different shapes, base material or finish??

Comment 1> the "large" crown is entirely yours to choose of course... I would still point out that it looks very slippery therefore pretty well impossible to use in real life conditions setting the watch pre-dive with cold (or even wet?) fingers... arguably not what this watch is made for, but hey, it's still supposed to be a "diver", right?

Comment 2> not to revive a dangerous recent controversy, but... what screws did you use on that shroud??? :) :) :) :)

Bravo, I still wonder when you take time to eat, sleep or even... well, you know ;)
Thanks Philip :)

• The Large crown is superb to use and in practice I would say it is better than the original(imo).
  • Controversy ? screws ? just the normal "cheap" ones i use, some guys buy the nice finished ones from Andy on the TF which are very nice and well presented :)
  • Sleep, mmmmm I will have to try that out sometime :)

The Mk2 is a slightly different shroud, i leave a little material on the shroud near the crown.

·
Administrator
33,827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
1 - 20 of 23 Posts