The Watch Site banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6139-7070, 4006-6011, 4205-015V, 5M62-OD50
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I don't come this way often, being a bit of a Seiko nut, but two years ago my father died and left me this old pocket watch, so I thought I would share it with you. It would only run for a short time.

Watch Clock Measuring instrument Plant Quartz clock

I had a watch maker look at it, but he said it wasn't worth looking at!

Watch Fluid Measuring instrument Clock Watch accessory

The glass is plastic, possibly a replacement. I spent some time with it and discovered that the second hand was fouling the watch face, causing it to stop. With a little care I lifted the hand a little, and.....it runs, but loses time.

The next thing was to adjust it, and it took my some time to find a way in to it, its the latch below the 6'o'clock mark.

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Steering part Alloy wheel Automotive lighting

This had me stumped for a while, but the blue steel retaining clip slides to the left...

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Vehicle brake Motor vehicle

Revealing more engraving, and a serial No, but no signature. I have tried to adjust the time but the fine adjustment seems to make no difference. However, it seem to be running to time now, but needs winding about every eight hours!

It is silver and the hallmarks indicate 1885 (London), so my Great Grandfathers watch I would think. The makers marks indicate John Harris and Rowland Hill, but I am unable to trace them at this time. It has some machining on the back, and a chain as well, so I might just clean it up and wear it now and then.

Hope you find this interesting, and...sorry for the poor phone pics!

Headgear Audio equipment Button Circle Gadget

·
Special Member
3,511 Posts
Reactions: Dave R

·
Special Member
963 Posts
Condolences. I love old key winders and and fusee pockets, I would not run it a bunch, plus no real reason too :) Lovely thing to look at, all of that handwork.

·
Registered
6139-7070, 4006-6011, 4205-015V, 5M62-OD50
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, i did not know about Grace's Guide. I will look closer...

D

1 - 4 of 4 Posts