The Watch Site banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I happened to be back home in Lancaster, Pa via my current home, Germany, and had the chance to poke around some antique shops. I walked into one that usually carries some nondescript vintage watches when I stumbled upon something quite interesting: the Wittnauer 2000.

Swiss I thought, but upon closer inspection, I realized "Japan" was on the dial and a quick search said that it was made by Orient! Well, the watch was literally NOS (maybe worn a handful of times) and was being sold with box, papers, and even the little clasp adjustment tool still taped to the underside of the box insert. The watch was being sold for $185 but $150 was the bargain struck.

Now, I must say, I am blown away by this interesting piece. It's big, bold and detailed! I did some reading and found that its perpetual calendar will "run out" at the end of 2015 which seem a shame that she's only now finding a willing wrist.

Here's my question...does anyone have any history on the linkage between Orient and Longines-Wittnauer that led to the licensing agreement on this piece? I'd love to know anything more about it!

For now, here are some pictures of my newest...she runs perfectly!

Mike

Attachments

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
That's a real beauty,vintage orients can be very detailed thats why i love them.:bravo_2:

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
Great catch and it does have that very Orient look about it. Love that it has the original box and documentation.

I do not know of the connection between Orient and Longines-Wittnauer but would also be interested to hear if anyone knows the details.

I would not be too worried about the calendar running out in 2015. For 2016 you can just set it to 1988, 2017 is 1989 etc.

·
Registered
6,223 Posts
Awesome find ! Big congrats, you're lucky most of us including me weren't there before you or it would have been gone !

What do you mean "perpetual calendar will "run out" at the end of 2015"? Year patterns run in cycles, you just need to set it to a year which was the third year of a leap year cycle that also had the same day of week on Jan 1 and you should be golden.

·
Registered
4,925 Posts
I seem to remember that in addition to Wittnauer, that there was also a Russian version, Raketa.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Awesome find ! Big congrats, you're lucky most of us including me weren't there before you or it would have been gone !

What do you mean "perpetual calendar will "run out" at the end of 2015"? Year patterns run in cycles, you just need to set it to a year which was the third year of a leap year cycle that also had the same day of week on Jan 1 and you should be golden.

For sure, the upper calendar can be used until the end of time...the lower display with the last 2 digits of the year will be incorrect, though, if I am not mistaken. Or am I mistaken?

·
Registered
6,223 Posts
If anyone wants a seemingly near-perfect blue dial version of the OP's Wittnauer, there is one for sale. OP makes your $150 price paid seem very good indeed.

We're not to post live listings so search WUS FS or PM me and I can send it to you. They want $250 for it and it looks really nice.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts