The Watch Site banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed that most of my seikos have low amplitudes, under 200 but appear to be running fine and keeping good time. Any reason for this ?

·
Registered
5,973 Posts
There are a few reasons for low amplitude and in combination can have a pronounced effect. These can be wear anywhere, dry lube , too much lube, not enough lube ,wrong type of lube, lube in the wrong place, wind blowing in from the wrong direction etc:biggrin:

·
Registered
912 Posts
There are a few reasons for low amplitude and in combination can have a pronounced effect. These can be wear anywhere, dry lube , too much lube, not enough lube ,wrong type of lube, lube in the wrong place, wind blowing in from the wrong direction etc:biggrin:
Haha amplitude is such a pest. The timegrapher is the best machine, but also the worst. Now I am never happy :(

·
Registered
5,973 Posts
I know what you mean. Sometimes no matter how much you try to do the perfect service you get the occasional possessed watch and the amplitude disappoints. I usually see what it does in each position and if it is stable under movement do not worry about it. Then again I am easily pleased:93: and its the real world performance that counts for me.

·
Registered
912 Posts
I know what you mean. Sometimes no matter how much you try to do the perfect service you get the occasional possessed watch and the amplitude disappoints. I usually see what it does in each position and if it is stable under movement do not worry about it. Then again I am easily pleased:93: and its the real world performance that counts for me.

Example right now... 6138 stripped and cleaned, mainspring cleaned and lubed (but reused of course). 1s/d 0.0be but amplitude 208.....leave it or strip it again?!? What would you do?

(I will completely strip this and clean and rebuid again...if it is the same twice then I can say it is the best I can get from it).

Attachments

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
I noticed that most of my seikos have low amplitudes, under 200 but appear to be running fine and keeping good time. Any reason for this ?
Are you sure they're wound fully?

Are you using a Multifunction Timegrapher 1000? If you are, you'll get varying readings for rate, beat error, and amplitude depending on what part of the watch case is in contact with the pickup. The provided instructions will have you put the crown against the pickup, but this is difficult to do with a crown-at-four case with crown guards.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts