The Watch Site banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. I bought some old pocket watches at an auction recently and on one of them which has USONA on the dial the second hand runs what appears to be backwards in an anti clockwise direction. Otherwise the watch keeps very good time with the minute and hour hand rotating clockwise. The dial is conventionally laid out. Is this normal for this watch or is there something wrong with it?
I quite like the quirkiness of it actually.

·
Registered
4,488 Posts
One too many magic mushrooms???

·
Super Moderator
2,913 Posts
Check out the pics here of what is probably a similar model, or at least caliber:
https://en.todocoleccion.net/antique-pocket-watches/re437-reloj-bolsillo-marca-omaire-usona-sistema-roskopf-siglo-xx~x65741506

This is a Roskopf movement, which was typically a lower quality, pin lever movement produced with maximum efficiency in mind. You can see that the wheel that drives the second hand is two removed from the escape wheel, different from most watch movements where the fourth wheel is right next to the escape wheel. If the barrel and gear train turn in the usual direction, then this would necessitate the seconds hand traveling in the opposite direction than if mounted to the wheel right next to the escape wheel.

While I'm not familiar with the brand or caliber, I'm guessing this is a normal trait for this watch, though unique otherwise.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts