The Watch Site banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

As my graduation is coming up, I have promised myself a watch for that day for many years now. When I first started university, it was going to be an Omega. Two years in, I realised that an Omega was being optimistic, so I 'reviewed' my budget. now I'm finished, I'm thinking of getting an Orient Star, a Seiko SARB0017 Green Dial alpinist, or one of the other SARB models.

While sourcing these from Japan isn't a problem, I do wonder whether there are any alternatives that are available outside of Japan that are worth looking. They must be automatic.

All suggestions welcome and appreciated. Thank you gentlemen.

Oh - I've just noticed on the Chino watch site some new watches with the 6R15 movement.I am not sure I like them that much to be honest. Your thoughts?

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
Are you going for a certain look or just an expensive watch?

If you are going for an expensive watch to commemorate the event it will just sit in a box forever.

Buy the watch you will wear.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for your response, however I fear you have misunderstood my question.

As I am intending to buy a mid range Japanese watch and not a Swiss watch, I am not in the market for an expensive watch.
What I wanted to know was if anyone was aware of any non JDM watches with 6R15 movements. Not what I should buy.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
12,319 Posts
the Sumo isn't strictly a JDM model.
It's probably the best Diver's watch for the money, and you can dress it up.

Now, if you go with the 7S movement, the sky is the limit.

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
Thank you for your response, however I fear you have misunderstood my question.

As I am intending to buy a mid range Japanese watch and not a Swiss watch, I am not in the market for an expensive watch.
What I wanted to know was if anyone was aware of any non JDM watches with 6R15 movements. Not what I should buy.

Thanks again.
Staying strictly in the confines of your question, you should contact Jake B. and get on the list for the DAGAZ Typhoon T-II, which is an up and coming dive watch that homages the legendary Seiko 6105-811x, of the APOCALYPSE NOW fame.

Jake has released a standard version of this watch with a NH26 (unbranded Seiko 7s26 movement, made by Seiko Instruments Inc) automatic movement inside, with no bracelet. The standard version is called T-2.

The upgraded, 'deluxe' version will be released in about a few months ahead, and will be called T-II. It's going to be powered by a NE15 atuomatic movement, which is the unbranded Seiko 6r15 that you are aiming for.
The deluxe version will be available with a SEL bracelet. :cool:

So there you have it all you were asking for in your OP...a non-JDM watch, powered by the great 6r15 movement.
This T-II will be available at around $600...

Jake's site: www.10watches.com

The T-II will look more or less like this one (try to imagine it with a SEL bracelet installed, and you can pretty much pick and choose your dial+hands+crown design+bezel insert choice ....it's fully customizable):

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
With the 6R15/Mechanical series I find it rather hard to tell what is JDM and what is not. At least in Europe a good number of these watches are available thru the regular sales distribution network.

In my opinion you cannot go wrong with a 6R15, personally I would choose one from Seiko and not a modified/"boutique" watch. The Sumo is certainly a nice piece but but also rather large, IMO you probably would do better in terms of flexibility with the aforementioned SARB Alpinist.

Interesting that you mention the new SARG models, these became available only a couple of weeks back (see discussion topic on this forum) and apparently have all the qualities of the SARB Alpinist except for a larger size, exhibition back - and significantly lower price!

If I was to buy an 'Alpinist-Style' model and the radiant green dial wasn't the main factor then I definitely would look at the SARG models.

Best,
Hermann

·
Registered
7 Posts
I think your first instinct was the best: SARB017. One of my favorites. Unique, interesting, and really comfortable on the bracelet. Really different and wonderful. Much more special than most of your other options, i.e. nothing else with that look. There really aren't any other options if you like the way it looks! A perfect "adventure" watch!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts