The Watch Site banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I haven't been working on watches for very long (only completed my first SKX mod last week, have only opened up my 6139 once, etc.) but I've heard whispers on SCWF and elsewhere about people altering a watch complication to serve another function. For example, I've heard rumors of people using the day wheel of a 7S26 movement to run a GMT hand, which absolutely blows my mind.

When it comes to modifications like this, is this something that people figure out on their own or are there resources out there that explain how to redirect a complication? If I wanted to try to figure out something like this on my own would it just involve taking apart a movement to figure out how it ticks (that was unintentional I swear ) or is there a place online, a book, etc. that discusses this type of work?

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Sorry to disappoint, but i would say this is impossible without having to rebuild/re-engineer the movement. Even the day disc to gmt i find hard to believe. Let’s say you are able to somehow attach a tube to where the day disc should be, and attach a gmt hand to it. The wheel that clicks the day disc only moves once a day. Now you’ll have to at the very least fabricate a replacement wheel that would click 24 times a day, instead of once a day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry to disappoint, but i would say this is impossible without having to rebuild/re-engineer the movement. Even the day disc to gmt i find hard to believe. Let’s say you are able to somehow attach a tube to where the day disc should be, and attach a gmt hand to it. The wheel that clicks the day disc only moves once a day. Now you’ll have to at the very least fabricate a replacement wheel that would click 24 times a day, instead of once a day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well that is a fairly obvious point I shouldn’t realized haha.

That being said, in general how do people go about making modifications like this? Is it just an ad hoc situation or are there known techniques?

·
Registered
4,795 Posts

Attachments

Reactions: IAmTheClayman

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Seiko did this to the 6105 to get the 6117 gmt. https://adventuresinamateurwatchfettling.com/2014/07/20/seiko-6117-8000-navigator-timer/
They also adapted the 4R35 to gain a 24hr hand by putting an extra pin in the centre of the date driving wheel, becoming the 4R37, this was also achieved as a diy project by a Japanese watchmaker.

Interesting read, but the image appears to be broken. Still struggling to understand the exact mechanics that make the 6105 to 6117 conversion work but that’s just me needing extra time to wrap my head around it

1 - 6 of 6 Posts