The Watch Site banner

61 - 71 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
3,597 Posts
I'm surprised there wasn't any discussion of it over there. That's why I came here. I knew you guys would be all over it.

Interesting times, for sure. I'm actually glad to see Seiko getting their due but would prefer better/more "auction worthy" pieces.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk
The WIS community is a fickle bunch, eh? I've been equally surprised that SCWF have been pretty quite with respect to landing the recently released SPB 151/153 models.

·
Registered
3,597 Posts
Personally not keen on it Russ.
Yeah, I'm not completely sold on them either. My preference would be for a real vintage 6105 and while I have a somewhat dodgy example aka Mr Crusty, I I also have a Typhoon so the "want" ain't overwhelming. Given the price to pursue either option has me looking at other pre-owned iconic pieces like the Doxa 300T for example.

·
Premium Member
2,937 Posts
Well, this is crap.
I would be interested in the 6215-7000, but there is no way I can bid for it. The pictures are low resolution rubbish. Bearing in mind the auctioneers expect it will hammer for a lot of money, then on top of that they add their buyers premium c.25%, and of course if it comes to the UK another 25% VAT on the total is payable. This will not be a cheap watch.

The photo's are pathetic. low resolution, totally impossible to see any close up detail. I want to see hi-res close up detail of the dial especially. None of the text is clearly visible, just a blur. The caseback photo is even worse, it looks like it has been sand blasted. If this watch was listed on eBay there would be 10 or 15 good photo's we can zoom in on the screen.

C'mon Bonhams, you can do a lot better than that.

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
Well, this is crap.
I would be interested in the 6215-7000, but there is no way I can bid for it. The pictures are low resolution rubbish. Bearing in mind the auctioneers expect it will hammer for a lot of money, then on top of that they add their buyers premium c.25%, and of course if it comes to the UK another 25% VAT on the total is payable. This will not be a cheap watch.

The photo's are pathetic. low resolution, totally impossible to see any close up detail. I want to see hi-res close up detail of the dial especially. None of the text is clearly visible, just a blur. The caseback photo is even worse, it looks like it has been sand blasted. If this watch was listed on eBay there would be 10 or 15 good photo's we can zoom in on the screen.

C'mon Bonhams, you can do a lot better than that.
I’m not having this problem. I registered with Bonhams so that I can potentially bid on an item and I can zoom in with very high resolution on the watches I observed. There are only two pictures per watch however. I can also download a condition report. There is a lot of legal disclaimers in these reports, like you are bidding on fairy dust. I was a guest on the Casual Watch Reviewer podcast that we recorded last night. Should come out on Sunday. In it one of the topics is my take on this auction. Specifically I go into the blue Bullhead that is still in the auction. It looks dodgy. The condition report states it has a 67 stamped on the dial. How would they know this unless they took apart the watch? The caseback is from October 1977. This doesn’t match anyway. They also describe some sort of yellowing of the sundials. I don’t see it. As with all auctions you have to challenge their reviews.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Special Member
2,781 Posts
Lot 704 - A RARE AND HIGHLY COLLECTIBLE STAINLESS STEEL "62MAS" DIVER'S WRISTWATCH

https://www.bonhams.com/auctions/26543/lot/704/?category=list&length=12&page=1

At first glance this watch looks bad but upon closer inspection it is a disaster. Chrome Lume Wells are extremely corroded. Looks like a relume (poorly done). Hands have been sanded to oblivion. Severe paint loss to the Minute Track. Obvious water intrusion as can be seen on the wear and discoloration to the Date Wheel. I would quess that the condition of the movement is less than desirable.

Worst of all it looks like a repainted dial (poorly done). Zoom in the auction photo and in the lower part of the Dial you can see splotchy areas mostly around the hour markers where you can see it has been repainted. Do I actually spot a drip of black paint on one of the hour markers :) I also wonder if the 2 line text has been repainted as it is too white (should be a very light grey) like the Automatic under the SEIKO Logo.

Also the Bezel Insert is a Reproduction Insert made by Dave Swan. IMO Dave made the Best Reproduction Inserts for the 6217 62MAS but still it is Not Original. Perhaps the Best thing about this watch is the Dave Swan insert as they are now in High Demand. IMO this watch has very little to offer a Seiko Collector.

I would enjoy seeing the Auction House's condition report on this lot.

·
Premium Member
2,937 Posts
Lot 704 - A RARE AND HIGHLY COLLECTIBLE STAINLESS STEEL "62MAS" DIVER'S WRISTWATCH

From a distance this watch looks bad but up close it is disaster. Chrome Lume Wells are extremely corroded. Looks like a relume (poorly done). Hands have been sanded to oblivion. Severe paint loss to the Minute Track. Obvious water intrusion as can be seen on the wear and discoloration to the Date Wheel. I would quess that the movement is less than desirable.

Worst of all it looks like a repainted dial (poorly done). Zoom in the auction photo and in the lower part of the Dial you can see splotchy areas mostly around the hour markers where you can see it has been repainted. Do I actually spot a drip of black paint on one of the hour markers :) I also wonder if the 2 line text has been repainted as it is too white (should be grey) like the Automatic under the Seiko Logo.

Also the Bezel Insert is a Reproduction Insert made by Dave Swan. IMO Dave made the Best Reproduction Inserts for the 6217 62MAS but still it is Not Original. Perhaps the Best thing about this watch is the Dave Swan insert as they are now in High Demand. IMO this watch has very little to offer a Seiko Collector.

I would enjoy seeing the Auction House's condition report on this lot.

Yes, it is a shabby example. The dial and chapter ring are scruffy and no movement shots. Only 2 pic's.... Bonhams are economising on photo's.
I have no problem with Dave Swan 62mas inserts. They are superb.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Agree the fakes are various: pogues, hands on the 5718?, no correct bracelets on many pieces. Modern stuff looks ok.

61 - 71 of 71 Posts