The Watch Site banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3,822 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've developed a friendship with another watchmaker - well he only does clocks and pocket watches now.

He bought this Seiko Chrono the other week secondhand through a national auction.
It had a small strap and he has a large wrist (none dare say he's fat:eek:) so he asked me to (somehow) supply links or a strap to fit.

Knowing that would be next to impossible and that there wasn't vast coinage or intrinsic value in the watch I found a long, new strap I had, donned safety gear and hit the case with my angle grinder before finishing it off with a file.

I could've made it perfect - or closer than this but I'd already spent about an hour on it.

Win/win:grin:

It could do with a buff but I'll leave that up to him.

Attachments

·
Registered
579 Posts
I'll be the outlier...if the OP's buddy wanted a quick solution to a watch he paid little for and is happy, more power to him! It will open up strap options as well.

Not my cup of tea but there are plenty of case-altering mods on our forum that receive all kinds of love. Heck, this thing was probably rotting in a drawer for years and at least will get some wrist time!

·
Administrator
30,131 Posts
I'll be the outlier...if the OP's buddy wanted a quick solution to a watch he paid little for and is happy, more power to him! It will open up strap options as well.

Not my cup of tea but there are plenty of case-altering mods on our forum that receive all kinds of love. Heck, this thing was probably rotting in a drawer for years and at least will get some wrist time!
Perhaps they have been done with a little more skill and expertise though ? as the OP says this is just a butchers job :)

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
I've developed a friendship with another watchmaker - well he only does clocks and pocket watches now.

He bought this Seiko Chrono the other week secondhand through a national auction.
It had a small strap and he has a large wrist (none dare say he's fat:eek:) so he asked me to (somehow) supply links or a strap to fit.

Knowing that would be next to impossible and that there wasn't vast coinage or intrinsic value in the watch I found a long, new strap I had, donned safety gear and hit the case with my angle grinder before finishing it off with a file.

I could've made it perfect - or closer than this but I'd already spent about an hour on it.

Win/win:grin:
It could do with a buff but I'll leave that up to him.

...( But since doing that try finishing what was " STARTED ",
and give him the benefit and finish the watch completely as a .......
( Craftsman yourself ), at least that much Sir. ) .....

( After all Sir you said ......... " A NEW FRIEND SHIP ". )

Alternative:
So now in the mean time look for another case like it and
give it to him to save it as a Original so he still has
the valued one. Then give that " POOR CASE ", a decent burial.

NOTE:
THIS IS THE WRONG FORUM FOR THE WORD ..........
" BUTCHERY " to be used.
Note:
It should be said it was ......... " Alternated to fit the use of it " for
the new owner.
( Sir please go to advance on this post and change the word ........
" Butchery " , on the main title. )
( For the benefit of our ........ " Viewing and Newer members ". )

But just my 2cents. Thank you very much.

·
Registered
6,306 Posts
well it looked like a great looking watch..i think i would have tried to find the original links...

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
KILL IT!

Hey if the man with fat wrists wanted it done any better then he needed to cough up some dosh as nzwatchdude has to pay for cat food some how! Anyway if he's a proper clock guy and not just a retailer he should be able to pick up some tools with his fat hands and do the job himself. Looks fine to me though for a hours work and at the end of the day if the owner is happy that is all that matters. He could use his watch as toilet paper if he wanted as long as it made him happy and at one with the world and in love with his watch.

·
Vendor
1,693 Posts
KILL IT!

Hey if the man with fat wrists wanted it done any better then he needed to cough up some dosh as nzwatchdude has to pay for cat food some how! Anyway if he's a proper clock guy and not just a retailer he should be able to pick up some tools with his fat hands and do the job himself. Looks fine to me though for a hours work and at the end of the day if the owner is happy that is all that matters. He could use his watch as toilet paper if he wanted as long as it made him happy and at one with the world and in love with his watch.
Your quotes are so funny T :grin:, however theres no getting away from the fact, thats! butchery

·
Registered
247 Posts

Plus one here!
Big storm, tiny wee tea cup:)

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
Seiko in the US (Coserv) will provide up to three links free of charge. I'm guessing they extend the same courtesy in other markets.

·
Registered
3,822 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Glad this raised some polarisation:grin:

I emailed him the photos and he likes it.
It would take a lot of effort and time I don't have and wouldn't get paid for to search for extra links if they could be obtained, which as we know is very difficult.

This model will never be collectible.

Apart from a sand on the inside of the lugs (where only the owner will see it) its done and looks good :)

·
Registered
774 Posts
Whatever floats your boat NZ Looks fine to me. I think you call it using your initiative, others will say something else.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts