The Watch Site banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought this AGS titanium diver here in Japan about 20 years ago. It's got a cool shiny orange face, I haven't seen another one like it since. It stopped working about 6 years ago and I was wondering if it is worth resurrecting (it probably needs a new kinetic mechanism). I also can't find the model # anywhere, if anyone could shed light on that I'd be most appreciative. Cheers....

Attachments

·
Registered
514 Posts
100 percent it's worth fixing, if you like it off course. I just rebuilt a similar one, those are a nice change from the norm. I love em. The model number is on the back, likely 5m43 something or other. The one I fixed is an earlier one, I posted about it a few weeks ago.

·
Registered
4,399 Posts
Here is my 1997 AGS diver which has the 5M23. It went dead and I left it in the desk, not wanting to discard nor send it in to Seiko.
So, after some years, I sent it to my pal in Canada who set it up to take a normal battery. It is an easy fix for sure! Contact me or ShaikCorso I guess, if you wish to convert it to normal quartz battery.

I checked your photo and on the bottom near the 6 it says 5M23, like mine.

full dial view by blingmeister, on Flickr

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks

Thanks for your replies. I love the watch, lots of great memories with it. It held up to 10 solid years of surfing so it's seen its share of good waves and good times. Even though it's not small, it feels tiny next my 009 and Orange monster. I'll take it into the local Seiko shop and see what kind of estimate they come up with.

Cheers

·
Registered
514 Posts
Mines still a kinetic, I don't convert these to quartz. You can pick up parts watches fairly cheaply to harvest the board from if you need it. The cap is only about $20.00 from France, and there is a chance that all it needs is a new cap. Mine is a 5M23 as well, and I repaired it with a new cap and a board from a 5M43. All told it was about $60.00 by the time I was done switching the parts. I did, however, find a place after I was done that sells the 5M43 complete replacement brand new for something close to the same price I think.

This is mine:

·
Registered
89 Posts
You should avoid charging it before getting a new battery cell. Because of the extended period of over depletion, there's an off chance that the cell could explode.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts