The Watch Site banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased a vintage king seiko 5246-6000 with a dial where the text is clearly incorrect from the original.

1) What does a redial mean? Does it mean that the original dial was used, stripped and the text/indexes reapplied? Or is like a completely new "blank" dial where everything is done again?

2) Can I purchase a particular "blank"? The original dial had a linen texture and it appears that the watch I purchased does not have this.

Essentially I would like a "replacement" dial with the correct material and correct writing/spacing

3) How much would something like this cost?

4) If so, recommendations on who could do such a thing?

I don't mind the fact that is not original as I plan to wear/abuse my watch and not too particularly worried about the resale value.

The obvious solution would be to buy a NOS or used dial separately but I've searched high and low and its not an option. I haven't seen any of these (5246-6000) listed for parts here on ebay or from yahoo japan so I'm trying to figure out what my options are. I understand that the watch is old and parts availability are near impossible, just wanted to hear what our members had to say. Most of the mods done are on the vintage divers and chronographs with fairly exact reproductions but no such luck on vintage king or grands. I've sent a few emails to modders as well.

Thanks!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
After some digging around I found all the answers to my questions:

1) Redial means they take down the indices, remove the text and reapply the text and finish

2) Purchasing blanks does not seem to be a thing

3) For my Seiko I was quoted from $150~$250* with modifications (plain dial to>linen and plain dial to mother of pearl)

4) In the US it seems the two bigs are International Dial Co. and Kirk Rich Dial. Forum reviews have both good/bad reviews for both.

5) Shipping process to them seems fairly straightforward.

6) Now I'm wondering if they change the color completely!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts