The Watch Site banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With original ones very difficult to find are there any good fitting aftermarket crystal retaining rings available?

There are a few different sellers on ebay but hard to knowwhat the quality/fitment is like.

Is it worth waiting for an original one to become available or are the aftermarket ones ok?

Previous threads I found appear to have mixed reviews inregards to the aftermarket ones.

·
Registered
6,719 Posts
well i am in the same dilemna...i need 4 for myself and i am unsure what to do....i have often thought this would be a great seller for someone with a little business...if you find anything out ..please let me know...i have never been able to find any used ones yet either..how many are you looking for?...God Bless John

·
Administrator
32,789 Posts
From experience they are like you say in your post, hit and miss.

In my own watches I will only use oem but again like you say they are not always easy to get hold of unfortunately.

·
Registered
316 Posts
I'm in that same boat gentleman , I could use 3.
Those that have used them will chime in soon I hope with some clarification.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,719 Posts
Hey Tiger would they be hard to make?....would this be a good like business for someone to get into?...

·
Registered
316 Posts
John (TigerUK), are the retaining rings reusable? I mean is it a must to use a new one each time you change a crystal ? How do you know when one is wore out?

Thank you
Richard

·
Registered
808 Posts
John (TigerUK), are the retaining rings reusable? I mean is it a must to use a new one each time you change a crystal ? How do you know when one is wore out?

Thank you
Richard

They can be reused as long as they haven't cracked or become rusted too much.
The original ones have mostly cracked now; that's why they are so hard to find.

Anyone with a lathe and good milling skills could turn these things out by the bucket load.
The after market ones are not all the same quality. Probably more than half of them are a poor fit; seems they are not sized properly and have too large a diameter which makes the bezel bind.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
well i am in the same dilemna...i need 4 for myself and i am unsure what to do....i have often thought this would be a great seller for someone with a little business...if you find anything out ..please let me know...i have never been able to find any used ones yet either..how many are you looking for?...God Bless John
At the moment I’m after 1 x crystal retaining ring , battery clamp/screws & movement/case ring, none of which are proving very easy to find and will end up costing more than I paid for the whole watch.

The crystal retaining ring appears to be the only one offered as aftermarket but as people have said it’s hard to know if they aregoing to fit well or not.

Thankfully the movement is clean and keeping good time so ifI can’t find the parts required to restore I may just have to pack it away fora future 6309/7548 project.

·
Registered
6,719 Posts
well i see what i can find...hopefull we can get a good source of these parts soon...

·
Registered
4,255 Posts
I've used lots of mount_tapu merchant's one and they're fine:)
I can't ever remember having one not fit.

I use a glass press to fit them though.

·
Registered
931 Posts
I'm satisfied with the crystal products I have received from "Crystaltimes Horology"....
Alex Robertson , director .....Website : www.crystaltimes.net
I have used them on my 6309 and 6105 . The crystals came with new gaskets...Alex is a pleasure to deal with .

·
Registered
6,719 Posts
crystal times is great...i can say he is amazing to deal with too...

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
The rings sold by paulsvintagewatches on ebay have been found to be OK, thought with AM parts there's no QA guarantee as you realise.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I tried to high temp silver solder (1140 degree F solder) a crystal retaining ring for a 4205 diver. The break was clean and I thought it would work. To shorten the story, I think it might work but it will require some nasty, strong flux that I'm not willing to mess with. The crack was sharp and defined so the two halves fit tightly. Stainless forms an oxide layer that and you need a strong flux to get through it or the solder wont hold. The repair failed but I got to study it. The flux I used got to the outer edges for a nice bond there but didn't flow through the whole joint. For the little bit that had solder in it, it was pretty strong. Then, another crack appeared on the opposite side.

The break in the ring is very granular, much like a cast metal part. If it is cast, I don't think there is much hope of ever soldering these back together. I've never seen stainless steel fail like this. I'm not a metallurgist, engineer, welder or anything like that. Just dabble in these things.

·
Registered
6,719 Posts
well you can use a tig welder to repair one but solder would never be strong enough to hold it...Stainless has to be tigged back together but it is very easy to distort because it is so thin too...

·
Registered
49 Posts
High temp silver solder can be incredibly strong. I think the stuff I was using is rated at 70,000psi tensile strength. It is really a braze. That probably exceeds the real world strength you get in a weld.

I have a TIG welder. I've seen welders join a beer can with a perfect weld. Trust me, I'm not the guy for the job.

·
Registered
808 Posts
High temp silver solder can be incredibly strong. I think the stuff I was using is rated at 70,000psi tensile strength. It is really a braze. That probably exceeds the real world strength you get in a weld.

I have a TIG welder. I've seen welders join a beer can with a perfect weld. Trust me, I'm not the guy for the job.
I soldered a couple of cracked ones. One let go at the solder joint and the other as you found cracked on another part of the ring. These rings definitely look to be cast as the breaks are very granular looking.

The one AM ring I used was supposedly from mount_apo and it is just slightly too large on the outside diameter. With the OEM bezel gasket, the bezel is a bear to turn. With no gasket it works fine. I found that one of the thinner AM gaskets for the SKX bezels made it work as intended.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts