The Watch Site banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a question about the bezel. They all say that it is one piece, it does not have an insert. They also say that the bezel scratches easily and since it is one piece, the whole bezel needs to be replaced. Does it scratch easily? Anything that can be done to protect it?

·
Registered
72 Posts
That’s what I have read on the web as well but at least 2 people here can explain in detail about the MM bezel and insert. Those 2 people are Dr. Seiko (Randall Benson) and Jack @ IWW.
I am no MM expert and I do have a MM but I have not taken the bezel apart to see for myself. To me if it’s a 1 piece bezel then why the insert itself has an acrylic in appearance and feel to it? And it’s shiny as well. :eek:

I am familiar with an all one piece stainless steel bezel and insert where the numbers are anodized directly onto the top part of the bezel (older Heuer chronograph watches). It does not seem to be the case for the MM. I would like to hear from the experts as well.

I don’t think the MM bezel insert is scratch easily, but all bezel inserts including the platinum one on the Rolex Yatchmaster will have scratches if bang on it hard enough. ;D

·
Registered
185 Posts
Jack and Randall can tell you anything about it.

I can tell you a little about it.
I had to take the bezel off- and replace the gasket. So I got a good look.

Before I could get a gasket ( someone very very kind helped greatly with the gasket, thank you J.A.)
I had the bezel off and got to take a close look.
Actually so did Ithsmus , we live local to one another.
and so did several watchmakers, or supply type guys local to me.

I am really not into taking watch pictures, and usually I am to doing the project- to stop and take pics.
It hardly occurs to me.
Basically it very much does seem that the bezel does not have an insert and the bezel insert it poured
into the bezel itself.

If you go back to the Original forum, Jack had a customer PVD his Marine Master, and some discussion and information was shared about the insert, from Jack himself.

the bezel itself is quite thick and well made, very very finely machined, more so then you would think.
The racheting teeth are both finer and more pronouced, then most other watches, or their parts that I have handled.

I did take down many of the dimensions in mm with a caliper - trying to get dimensions to replace the gasket.
but that was two or three computers ago.

As for scratches, All inserts scratch.
I think due to the highly polished bezel , some scratches are more aparent,
and truth be told the bezel is quite large, it does overhang the case.
Its also quite a 'tall' watch on the wrist.

That all being said , it's easy to polish or buff with a tiny big of compound and some patience.

kmc

·
Registered
110 Posts
Zoodles you are ready for the apocalypse! I know you have a spare movement just off screen! That is hardcore man! I would be happy buying a spare marinemaster! It it was ever to be discontinued, I would buy a new one for sure!

To Gogiants...of course the bezel scratches, its so nice and shiny, that is its destiny. JK. I remember the first scratch I got on mine was devastating....but now, I have more scratches...it's really no problem and the watch still looks great. To me its like the finish on a piano...cool and glossy.

I have the same problem with my sunglasses...I scratch them and cry...then move on.

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
Selym said:
I think they're $250...not cheap!
actually, for a watch in the "class" of a MM, that's VERY cheap. try to buy some bezel inserts alone for other watch brands and you'll see just how cheap ;D

<* shark >>><

·
Registered
34 Posts
Agreed. The bracelet is also very reasonable. I paid about $260 for that one. Now contrast this to the Blanpain Fifty Fantoms. I bought my SD 600 from a great guy who used the proceeds from the entire SD 600 to buy a bracelet for his fifty! Yup, you got that right... $3000 for the bracelet alone!!!

Makes the $230 bracelet for my Revue very reasonable. ;D

thesharkman said:
actually, for a watch in the "class" of a MM, that's VERY cheap. try to buy some bezel inserts alone for other watch brands and you'll see just how cheap ;D

<* shark >>><

1 - 13 of 13 Posts