The Watch Site banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all - new to the forum so forgive me if this is in the wrong place.
I just received an snj025 arnie reissue and noticed that the loom seems to have a few 'bumpy' patches in it. its works fine and is within its borders, just the texture is quite irregular in some patches. no discoloring though. is this to be expected? Is it a problem or just a bit of an eyesore i will have to get used to that doesn't effect the actual watch?
I have also noticed that the screw down crown is quite hard to screw down like it needs a bit of oil or something. feels 'dry' like the metal on metal of the threads are rubbing each other.

Anyone ever encountered similar?

thanks in advance for any advice given. I will post some pics of the lume in a bit, but it basically looks like it dried a bit weird in spots.

·
Registered
745 Posts
I can't help you with the lumpy lume but I had a pepsi version and that had the same crown issues. I put some silicon grease on the threads and that cured it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies :)
I bought it from an official dealer and it came with filled in warranty card etc so fairly sure that it is a genuine Seiko. Took it to a watchmaker who looked at the crown and used an airgun to get a bit of grit our of the thread - it is appreciably smoother now.
I had a peep at a couple of new seiko divers in the shop and noticed that some of them also had small aesthetic imperfections in the lume surface, not as pronounced as mine, but meh - I mean to have this as a diving/shenanigan's watch anyway so going to convince myself its all part of its charm?

If anyone is interested - the pictures in THIS BLOG are similar to what I am talking about with the lume finishing.

·
Special Member
2,886 Posts
Good to know it's a legit Seiko. I guess it's up to you whether you accept the imperfections. I have a feeling you will know rather quickly if it's something you can live with.
Looking at the pics, it almost looks like it's been air dried with a bit of too much pressure ( and I know nothing about the Seiko lume process)

Rob

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
I bought it from an official dealer and it came with filled in warranty card etc so fairly sure that it is a genuine Seiko
Such deficiencies happen, it all depends on the quality control in the factory.
This one you can see is a model from the returns, a weak luma and a tube of the watch's crown.
dry ... Bought from official distribution, give it back and ask for another watch.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
so after reading the other potential issues with misaligned bezels and markers, i inspected mine to find that both are perfectly aligned. ironically, the lume is pretty evenly lumpy on each marker and almost looks like it was sposed to be there. If any one marker was not blemished it would look weird but because they are all almost equally blemished it actually doesn't bother me.
Gonna keep it but jeez, what a shitty QC for a fairly expensive watch that is otherwise very nicely made...

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
so after reading the other potential issues with misaligned bezels and markers, i inspected mine to find that both are perfectly aligned. ironically, the lume is pretty evenly lumpy on each marker and almost looks like it was sposed to be there. If any one marker was not blemished it would look weird but because they are all almost equally blemished it actually doesn't bother me.
Gonna keep it but jeez, what a shitty QC for a fairly expensive watch that is otherwise very nicely made...
Do you have a picture of the watch?

(I've seen GS, Omega and others for thousands of $ with flaws ....)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Do you have a picture of the watch?

(I've seen GS, Omega and others for thousands of $ with flaws ....)
What do you think? cosmetic or water damage maybe? its under warranty so maybe I just send it back?

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I say cosmetic. Doesn't look like water ingress. Usually you would see it more on the markers by the crown or pushers,
this is pretty even all around.

Rob

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk
Thanks for the reply.
Yeah - I had a peep at a bunch of other seiko divers at a random watch store and some of them had slightly imperfect lume in spots so meh. I doubt Dutch would worry about it while killing Predators in the jungle so neither will I :)

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
Error when applying LumiBrite, I would replace it with another, it costs nothing.
(with a possible sale, the current copy will be much cheaper)

I remembered something - such defects often appear (damage to the dial, dry tube, etc.) when the watch lies under the lights on a store shelf for a long time, in addition, LumiBrite "burns out" and loses "power"

1 - 13 of 13 Posts