The Watch Site banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
After quite some time, I finally found/purchased an Orange Shogun. These are pretty hard to find. This one was pretty mint except for the fact that the previous owner somewhat munged the crown threads. There is about 1 full turn or slightly less of engagement.

Normally, I don't buy watches w/issues, but because this one was so rare, I made an exception (and got it somewhat cheap as well). But now it bothers me.

I came to find out that this needs a case replacement to rectify. That is pretty spendy. However, I found a thread by a Shogun owner w/stripped crown tube who was able to send to AD in Japan (FWIW, I live in Japan), Higuchi, who apparently worked some magic and gave him back the watch w/full crown engagement for a nominal service fee.

So my first question is whether anyone knows if there is a reasonable, lower price repair than case replacement.

Second, assuming there is not, what would readers hear do? Replace case? Flip the watch? Live with it?

Just wondering.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
If it was cheap then i would be tempted to live with it (assuming that it actually screws done better than in the picture).

I suspect a full case replacement will be very expensive.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If it was cheap then i would be tempted to live with it (assuming that it actually screws done better than in the picture).

I suspect a full case replacement will be very expensive.
It does actually screw down, but I've not been doing it to preserve what threads remain. And to be honest, I can get pretty lazy about screw down crowns.

I've been quoted $500 for the case by a U.S. watch guy. I guess I could ask around here in Japan, probably cheaper here.

If it is $500, at that point it might almost be cheaper to just buy a new black Shogun, which I can get for about $650 here in Japan, grab the case, part out the rest.

Again, sort of a dilemma, but I really like that orange face against the particular color of the Shogun Ti, took me a long time to find one.

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
Assuming you bought this used, are you sure the issue is that the threads are mechanically deformed, and not just really dirty? I've recently done the waxed dental floss around the threads trick on some watches that were not smooth to lock down, and been very surprised at the amount of junk I pulled off the threads of seemingly clean watches.

I covent an orange Shogun to go with my black one, so am hoping for you it's something easier to resolve, beautiful watch.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Assuming you bought this used, are you sure the issue is that the threads are mechanically deformed, and not just really dirty? I've recently done the waxed dental floss around the threads trick on some watches that were not smooth to lock down, and been very surprised at the amount of junk I pulled off the threads of seemingly clean watches.

I covent an orange Shogun to go with my black one, so am hoping for you it's something easier to resolve, beautiful watch.
No, I did that and then also got a good magnified look at the threads. It is the crown tube threads.

It is a gorgeous watch, my favorite orange dialed watch, and very hard to find, so I'll probably go to more heroic lengths to get this resolved. At some point, I'll just go to an Seiko AD here in Japan, please send this back to Seiko, and just suck up whatever the damage is.

That being said, I did find one thread where somebody sent a black Shogun with stripped crown tube threads to Higuchi, who fixed it up almost gratis. So maybe the crown tube is replaceable, although Jack at IWW says it isn't.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I said the SBDC009 was my favorite orange dial. However, I did pick up this orange dial "diver" recently that is starting to grow on me. It is one of the variants with a non-moving inner bezel. Some people don't realize that Seiko issued these with both moving and non-moving bezels and if the bezel doesn't move, they assume they are broken. In this case, this is a SKX061 (I believe that is the model) with a non-movable inner beze and not a SBSS003 with a malfunctioning inner bezel, which is what most people would assume.

At least that is the story I sort of pieced together researching this, I'm about 90% sure I got it right, there isn't a whole lot of info out there.

Identical otherwise, though, and very comfortable watch.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts