The Watch Site banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As title states I have an opportunity to purchase a 6105 and am looking for any advice on originality and what I should be looking at as far as price goes. Thanks in advance. Sellers pictures provided

Attachments

·
Registered
6,731 Posts
well hello and welcome to the forum and great to have you with us...well it looks like a nice example...hard to tell from pic if any aftermarket parts are on it...any more pics available?..what did seller tell you in description?...i would ask for a few more pics if this is the only one seller is providing too...God Bless John

·
Special Member
5,242 Posts
well hello and welcome to the forum and great to have you with us...well it looks like a nice example...hard to tell from pic if any aftermarket parts are on it...any more pics available?..what did seller tell you in description?...i would ask for a few more pics if this is the only one seller is providing too...God Bless John
Agree, not much of a picture, but looks to me to be all original. The dial and hands seem to have been relumed because not matching pip on bezel. Can't tell for sure, but other than that looks all original. Jmo.

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
Can't tell much from the pic (need a case back shot especially), but in general it's a nice looking watch.

As what's referred to as a Proof watch, it's relatively rare/uncommon - especially in this condition.

At about the same time Seiko switched from the 6105-8000 to the 6105-811x, they adopted the convention of labeling watches water resistant instead of waterproof.

As such, the great majority of 6105-811x's read "Water 150m Resist"/Water Resistant on the dial/case back - while the minority read Water 150m Proof"/Waterproof like the dial shown.
For collectors, this scarcity inflates the value of the Proof -811x's (and the Resist -8000's) a fair amount.

The case back should have Waterproof as well, and should be from no later than a 1971 production (serial number on back should start with 0 or 1).

AFAIK it's the policy of the site not to provide valuations, but I can tell you that I paid roughly $1k (w/o the chocolate bar strap shown) for this untouched early Proof/Proof hacking 6105-8110 at Japanese auction (so there was someone else bidding roughly this price as well):

Here were the sale photos:

Hope this helps. GL!

·
Special Member
5,242 Posts
Can't tell much from the pic (need a case back shot especially), but in general it's a nice looking watch.

As what's referred to as a Proof watch, it's relatively rare/uncommon - especially in this condition.

At about the same time Seiko switched from the 6105-8000 to the 6105-811x, they adopted the convention of labeling watches water resistant instead of waterproof.

As such, the great majority of 6105-811x's read "Water 150m Resist"/Water Resistant on the dial/case back - while the minority read Water 150m Proof"/Waterproof like the dial shown.
For collectors, this scarcity inflates the value of the Proof -811x's (and the Resist -8000's) a fair amount.

The case back should have Waterproof as well, and should be from no later than a 1971 production (serial number on back should start with 0 or 1).

AFAIK it's the policy of the site not to provide valuations, but I can tell you that I paid roughly $1k (w/o the chocolate bar strap shown) for this untouched early Proof/Proof hacking 6105-8110 at Japanese auction (so there was someone else bidding roughly this price as well):

Here were the sale photos:

Hope this helps. GL!
You know your 6105's sir! Very well put.

·
Registered
6,731 Posts
very well said for sure...great looking watch too

·
Administrator
33,234 Posts
Like others have said it does look good (very good) but you have got to see the case back which of course must be PROOF to match the dial as other wise it could "just" be a PROOF dial in a resist model.

The earliest 6105-8110 i have seen is May 1970 and the latest is a July 1970 obviously there could be ones from other dates but i havent seen them (I would like to).

·
Ultimate Collector
3,295 Posts
Looks to be an excellent 6105. At a glance the insert is probably a replacement, but who cares.. It is lovely.

The 6105-811x is a firm favourite on this forum. Here's one of mine:

·
Special Member
5,242 Posts
Looks to be an excellent 6105. At a glance the insert is probably a replacement, but who cares.. It is lovely.

The 6105-811x is a firm favourite on this forum. Here's one of mine:

That's a nice one Jim!
Here's mine, currently being serviced. Not that anything was wrong with it, just preventive.

·
Registered
685 Posts
Does anyone have an example of the dial and case back not matching on these 6105's?
I've seen several chronos over the years that were in the transition period and had a mismatching dial and case back. I have a 6138-0011 with a resist dial, but a proof case back, bought off the original owner.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for all the info. I've been a long time lurker but avid collector. Will be meeting up with seller at some point in the next few days. Still figuring out how to post multiple pics from my ipad. Will try to post case back picture.

Attachments

·
Administrator
33,234 Posts
Looks like you are soon to be the holder of a special 6105 :) congratulations.

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
Case back looks perfect. Waterproof, unpolished, good serial#/date, super clean lugs - winner, winner, chicken dinner.

Crystal looks a little cloudy maybe - I'd recommend a NOS replacement (320W10GN), movement service, and a waffle (or choco/XGL) strap.

Nice find. An uncommon 6105-811x.

·
Registered
6,731 Posts
well that looks like a very nice example...i would try and get it for sure....God Bless John

·
Special Member
5,242 Posts
As title states I have an opportunity to purchase a 6105 and am looking for any advice on originality and what I should be looking at as far as price goes. Thanks in advance. Sellers pictures provided
Yea, all indicates that you'll get a very nice example. Don't forget to follow up with your pictures. I bet it looks better than we think!

·
Ultimate Collector
3,295 Posts
6105's are not getting cheaper any day soon. They are a great watch. I admit I've got four of them and no plans to let any of them go.

·
Administrator
33,234 Posts
6105's are not getting cheaper any day soon. They are a great watch. I admit I've got four of them and no plans to let any of them go.
Have you a proof/proof Jim ?

1 - 20 of 36 Posts