The Watch Site banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HI, I recently purchased a srp024k1 cheap enough on the bay. Although it seems to be ok apart from the exspanding strap it is gaining 10 mins a day. First I tried a sticky ball but that did not work so I then tried a 3 pin case opener but no joy and red thumbs with indentations. I do not have a vice to hand, but I really do need to adjust it.
Any ideas please.

Attachments

·
Registered
154 Posts
I've often struggled at work without a vice to remove cases only to have them practically fall open at home when secured in the vice.

·
Registered
5,973 Posts
If you do not have a 'Big Bertha' a vice works wonders. I use a woodworking vice with wooden jaws and place a softwood packing piece under the watch head to help resist downward pressure. With the head firmly held it is surprising what you can shift even with a cheapo caseback remover is you make sure it is adjusted to fit the caseback and use downward pressure with a little care.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If you do not have a 'Big Bertha' a vice works wonders. I use a woodworking vice with wooden jaws and place a softwood packing piece under the watch head to help resist downward pressure. With the head firmly held it is surprising what you can shift even with a cheapo caseback remover is you make sure it is adjusted to fit the caseback and use downward pressure with a little care.
I have been apprehensive using a vice just in case I damaged a lug or crown.
Just have to make sure I don't rush as I can be impatient.

·
Registered
6,720 Posts
hey you know what will work in a pinch..and if you are handy...some soft wood like pine or cedar...make a little jig to hold the watch...and take another piece of wood and make yourself a case back tool...all you need to do is make a template for the caseback to where the pins are...and use any kind of fastener and will screw down and fit into the case...you just need to remove then heads...the wood will not damage the case and it is very cheap too...God Bless John..

·
Registered
808 Posts
Sorry to say that even when you get the back off; 10 minutes per day is not an adjustment...it is screaming for a proper service.

·
Registered
2,511 Posts
Cover the case back and any case surfaces that come in contact with anything else with some sort of tape in case of tool slippage unless you don't mind deep gouge wabi.

PS: if it is gaining 10 minutes a day either the hairspring is jacked up or that watch is magnetized.

·
Registered
931 Posts
Cover the case back and any case surfaces that come in contact with anything else with some sort of tape in case of tool slippage unless you don't mind deep gouge wabi.

PS: if it is gaining 10 minutes a day either the hairspring is jacked up or that watch is magnetized.
If it's magnetized , a quick zap on a demagnetizer will do the trick and you don't have to take the back off . That should be cheaper than a battery with a watchmaker....I only paid about $10 for my demagnetizer .
If it's a dirty , oily , or contaminated hairspring , you need to take off the back, remove the balance and clean it in something like lighter fluid [naphtha] , to clean the hairspring .

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Wow my watch is magnetized , I put it near my phone using the compass app and for sure it is. Could I use a magnet or would it be better getting a demagnetise r ?

·
Registered
238 Posts
Wow my watch is magnetized , I put it near my phone using the compass app and for sure it is. Could I use a magnet or would it be better getting a demagnetise r ?
Get a demagnetizer. If you try to use an ordinary horseshoe or bar magnet, lord alone knows what will happen.

David

·
Registered
931 Posts
Get a demagnetizer. If you try to use an ordinary horseshoe or bar magnet, lord alone knows what will happen.

David
What he said.. A watcher/jeweler puts it on his demagnetizer, pushes a button,
you're done.....Thats it .
DO NOT USE A MAGNET... I HAVE A MAGNETIZER / DE-MAGNETIZER TOOL FOR MY WORK SCREWDRIVERS AND I WOULD NEVER TAKE A CHANCE AND USE IT ON MY WATCHES.
I bought a $10 one on the bay and use it when ever I service a watch that gains time .
Go to YouTube , "the watch repair channel" , and Mark Lovic shows you what to do when your watch gains a lot of time . Do not try to use the regulate lever on the balance wheel until after you do the other steps...you probably won't have to regulate it anyway .

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks everyone,I shall buy a demagnetize r. At least it should sort this watch out and I will have it in case any of my others get magnetized.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts