The Watch Site banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ll try to explain as briefly as possible:

I have two Seiko "Age of Discovery" 6M13-0010’s. I love the movement, etc., and while neither is entirely mint, both are quite wearable, with only myself aware of any imperfections. Here they are:

Then I saw this on thE Bay:

See thEBay sale here: Seiko non-working 6m13-7039

The seller often offers “non-working salesman samples,” which contain no movements. I asked for info, and he sent me a pic of the inside, showing the buttons that are currently holding the hands in place, as well as the geared ring which, I presume, is the date wheel. The crown (no stem) is somehow adhered to the stem tube thingy. He adds that all four pushers move as they should.

My question is, does anyone know if a qualified watchmaker/repair-er could take the movement from one of my 0010’s and install it into the 7039 case? Though it might be anathema to some Age of Discovery fans, I'd love to have both the 0010 and the 7039 in my collection. Since both are 6M13's, I assume the movements would be identical, or at least compatible. Also, does anyone have a recommendation as to who might possess the skills and the necessary equipment to do the job, and who would, at least, take a look and give an opinion?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
6,731 Posts
well that looks like a great new watch...why not get a new movement for it and make another watch up?...well if the movement numbers are the same...it should be quite easy to do the change over...most of the salesman samples are real watches with just some parts removed..and they are great to remake a watch to like new again...God Bless John

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
I know who the seller is and I have installed movements into several sample cases. Typically the pushers are 100% functional and you will not need to mess with them. The crown about 90% of the time is glued into the case. You can not push it out from the inside as it will just crush the treaded tube for the stem and if you try prying from the outside you will most likely just snap the tube off the crown. I have found acetone will soften up the glue after it has been on the glue for about an hour but you have to remove any case parts near the stem so they are not destroyed by the acetone.
You will still need a movement holder if the case is not exactly the same size and if the case is not exactly the same size often the stem will not be the correct length.
The cases never come with ne stems or movement holders. Often the day/date dials are just a section cut out of a dial just for the window so if the day/date dial is not the same you could have a problem there too.
I have done two 7T32 cases a 7N43 and a 7002 case. The 7T32 samples often come with about 80% of the movement in the case which makes things easier. The 7002 I did came with nothing but the dial and hands and a small piece of the date wheel taped to the back of the dial and a piece of foam to hold the dial up against the glass. it is a crap shoot. Do you have the pictures of what is inside the case of that specific sample case. Also bear in mind the word "SAMPLE" is engraved in capitol letters right in the middle of the case back. It might bother you it might not. If you want to talk about it more send me a PM.

EDIT : I see now it looks like it has a complete day wheel and a movement holder. The main worry would be the stem length. Other than that it looks doable to me.

Michael

·
Registered
6,731 Posts
very well said Mike....Furple drop Mike a Pm...he will help you for sure...God Bless John

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
well that looks like a great new watch...why not get a new movement for it and make another watch up?...well if the movement numbers are the same...it should be quite easy to do the change over...most of the salesman samples are real watches with just some parts removed..and they are great to remake a watch to like new again...God Bless John
Thanks, John!

Hmmm, I'd most likely have a hard time finding a 6M13 movement by itself, not that I've ever looked. Having two that function makes me a little braver about considering the mod.

Easy? I've had a time changing batteries! This would definitely be handed over to a professional with proper tools and steady hands! I wouldn't have the first idea how to safely remove hands, much less pressing new ones in place! I just think the 7039 would look great in the collection, and it would have the 6M13 movement, making it just as reliable as the 0010. Much to consider.

·
Registered
6,731 Posts
well we all have been there..it is not as hard as might think...but if you have a good watchsmith you use...it will be a afternoon for them to make it right...well please keep us posted with lots of pics if you get it...God Bless John

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
I know who the seller is and I have installed movements into several sample cases...

EDIT : I see now it looks like it has a complete day wheel and a movement holder. The main worry would be the stem length. Other than that it looks doable to me.

Michael
Wow, thanks for all the info, Michael! Glad to hear you've been successful in similar endeavors. I just very recently bought a "live" salesmen sample from the same seller, a beautiful 6M15 about a half-a-notch shy of pristine. So now I have two reasons to trust the quality of his wares.

The problem with the unknown adhesive holding the crown in place worries me, as does the stem length. Assuming the crown could be safely removed and still be usable (without ruining the gold-tone plating?), is there anyplace you know of to buy a proper stem if necessary? Again, any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
well we all have been there..it is not as hard as might think...but if you have a good watchsmith you use...it will be a afternoon for them to make it right...well please keep us posted with lots of pics if you get it...God Bless John

I shall do. No doubt I will be crowing about it if someone call pull it off for me!

·
Registered
6,731 Posts
well i am sure it can be done without any big problems...God Bless John

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Wow, thanks for all the info, Michael! Glad to hear you've been successful in similar endeavors. I just very recently bought a "live" salesmen sample from the same seller, a beautiful 6M15 about a half-a-notch shy of pristine. So now I have two reasons to trust the quality of his wares.

The problem with the unknown adhesive holding the crown in place worries me, as does the stem length. Assuming the crown could be safely removed and still be usable (without ruining the gold-tone plating?), is there anyplace you know of to buy a proper stem if necessary? Again, any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again!
I spoke to Lupe who is the person who sells these on eBay and double checked about that particular watch for you and confirmed the numbers on the back of the case as they were incorrect in the actual listing.
If the stem is to long it can be shortened very easily. Many Seiko stems like part number 351580 for the 7T32 watches only come from Seiko in one length and it is up to the installer to measure and cut them down.
If you really want to do this it will get done. it all depends on your determination. If you want to have a go at it and get stuck I would be more than willing to walk you through it step by step if you want to learn If you would like it done but think it is to much I would do the swap for you for a very reasonable fee. If it was very easy I would not charge you at all but these swaps are time consuming and you have to be very careful when working with brand new cases and bands. There is always a risk of a important missing part. If it was one I would already done like a 7T32 or 7N36 I would say go for it but I have not done a swap on one of these. I own several different models of the "dancing hands" series watches. I have a 6M15 a 8M32 soccer timer two 8M25 dress models. They are complicated watches. I just swapped one of my 8M25 dress watches but it was into the same exact watch case. They are fantastic watches. In the end its up to you if you want to try it.

Michael

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
Definitely do-able. But its sacrilege to do that to a AOD surely.

I have installed quite a number of movements into sample cases (probably from the same seller) and whilst something as complicated as this one can be fiddly, it can be done without too much trauma.

As said earlier - the pushers will be fully functional. You may need to remove one or two to get the dial in.

The stem can be sourced easily enough - though getting it in the crown may be an issue .

I have found the crowns easy to remove from the case just by twisting off.

The hands are mounted on special spigots - the back of which you can see in teh pic. These are held in place by sticky tape.

Apart from sorting teh stem out - the worst thing will be mounting the hands - they can be very fiddly.

And after all that you will have made a £200- 300 watch into a £75 one:(

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I spoke to Lupe who is the person who sells these on eBay and double checked about that particular watch for you and confirmed the numbers on the back of the case as they were incorrect in the actual listing...

If the stem is to long it can be shortened very easily...

If you really want to do this it will get done...

I just swapped one of my 8M25 dress watches but it was into the same exact watch case. They are fantastic watches. In the end its up to you if you want to try it.

Michael
Thanks for all the research, Michael. I noticed he updated the listing to reflect the correct model numbers. I was actually going by the dial reference number rather than the "7M13" in the listing heading.

Even after all that, I think my enthusiasm for this project is beginning to wane. There seem to be so many chances for a misstep throughout the process. If it were an 8M25 I probably wouldn't think twice, but a 6M13... Even having two, I'd feel the loss much more keenly.

Hmmm, think I'm getting too attached to the watches. Drifting down through the nine levels, I guess.

Thanks again, Michael. If I go for it I'll PM you for the commission!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
And after all that you will have made a £200- 300 watch into a £75 one:(
Yeah, that's definitely one of the drawbacks. If it was an AOD 6M13 case with the gold or the black center dial, I'd do it in a heartbeat. Not nearly as certain placing the movement in the 7039 (I guess they called it the "Centuries" model).

I'm not always motivated by value, and most of my watches aren't the highest end Seikos. Still, the collectibility of the AOD model is undeniable, even if I do have two. Maybe I'll just hold out and see if I can't find a complete and functional 6M13-7039.

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
All 6M13 models are pretty rare and very expensive. Your only luck would be if you found one that someone dragged along the ground and scuffed up the case and broke the crystal but did not hurt the movement. People only want those watches in mint or near mint condition. A banged up one is almost completely worthless. The only other bidder on a watch like that would be someone with a nice watch that had a movement malfunction. I have yet to run across and of the dancing hand movements that have failed in any way. They are very well build.
My offer is always open if you get luck enough to grab a fully functional 6M13 for a good price.

Michael

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
All 6M13 models are pretty rare and very expensive. Your only luck would be if you found one that someone dragged along the ground and scuffed up the case and broke the crystal but did not hurt the movement. People only want those watches in mint or near mint condition. A banged up one is almost completely worthless. The only other bidder on a watch like that would be someone with a nice watch that had a movement malfunction. I have yet to run across and of the dancing hand movements that have failed in any way. They are very well build.
My offer is always open if you get luck enough to grab a fully functional 6M13 for a good price.

Michael
I've actually seen a 6M13 just like you described on thE Bay before, but passed due to the condition. If I'd seen the 7039 at the time, I might have taken that step. I may yet hold out for another in beaten condition.

As an aside, I have actually found a local jeweler who is an authorized Seiko repair-er, and prides himself giving equal attention to all models, not just the high-end. I may take a drive over and have a chat with him to see how helpful he could be. I appreciate your offer greatly, but it'd be great to find someone local who I could work with face-to-face, as I have at least one Seiko 6M15 that needs attention as well.

Yep, I feel the need for a local enabler for what I'm just beginning to realize might be an addiction.

Hello, my name is Furple, and I'm a watch-a-holic.... :tongue4:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts