The Watch Site banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently was offered a box of bits and pieces that I was told had come from a watch repairer. I thought it was worth taking a chance and took a punt. There are about 20 tobacco tins with all manner of things such as balance wheels, staffs, hairsprings, scores of stems and crowns. These are all new.
About 5 boxes containing hundreds of acrylic crystals still in their packets and ranging in size from 146 to 400. Some watch hands that are still attached to the little cards that they must have been supplied on, a good few dials, mostly used but in good condition and a few new ones. There is other stuff too that I cannot recall, I was on a good hour just opening tins and looking at the remains of what has been someones business or lifelong hobby. I will include a few photos below so that you can have an idea of some of what is there.
You will see that there are hundreds of stems still in packets. There are numbers and some makes of watch movements on the packets but what they actually fit or indeed if they are any good I do not know. It will take a long time but what is the best way to sort and organise them? As I say most have names on the packets so that will be easy enough. But can anyone explain what the different sizes and numbers mean. If I can get them sorted into some sort of order I can try and get some better photos and if anyone spots something that they might need I would be glad to help out if I could. I am never going to use too many of these personally. But in the meantime I need a crash course in stems:smiley:
For example I might need a stem for an old CYMA that was also in the lot. According to the site Ranfft it needs a W2287. Will I find some reference to that number on the packet, assuming of course that there is a suitable stem among this lot? If not what else would identify it, measurements perhaps?

stems-1.jpg

stems-2.jpg

stems-3.jpg

stems-6.jpg

stems-7.jpg

Hope the pics are clear enough for you to make out the writing on the packets. Glad of any advice and hopefully there might be something there that might be of help to someone looking for a stem for an older watch.

·
Registered
845 Posts
Therein lie the rub...organization. Bulova had a good system and a good interchange system. I'd segregate all the Bulova parts and arrange them accordingly. Other than that, I'd probably use the BestFit system to organize the other parts. Generally, this will be by manufacturer/caliber/then part number. Good luck.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Luckily (or maybe not) I am kind of obsessive about having things organised and arranged properly. So I can look forward to a few hours sorting through this lot.
Just to clarify, would the stem for the Cyma be in a packet that is marked as such and with the part number W2287 shown on the packet? Is it possible that the dimensions of the stem might be the same as a one for another movement?
Many thanks.

·
Registered
6,720 Posts
wow...you said you got lots of good stuff...now we need to find you a good book for reference to see what they all fit...stems usually but not always fit more than one version...what are all the brands do you have?...i am sure we all can help find you reference material...God Bless John

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well just a quick rummage and there is:
STEMS
as, amida, rl, oris, eb, eta, ebosa, lapanouse, smiths, brac, fhf, osca, felsa, bfg, tissot, seiko(not many by the way), roseba, peseux, arogno.

STAFFS
mst, as unitas, om, helvetia, oris

R Bars (?) & click springs
bfg, ebosa, smiths

Obvoiusly there are only one or two of some but quite a few of the others. Some of the names mean nothing to me.

There are another 6 or so tins with other stuff in that I need to go through as well.
I'd love to think that some of this stuff will turn out to be useful. Probably not so much for me but other members are welcome. It is a shame for this stuff to just lie in a tin for years.

·
Registered
6,720 Posts
Hey if we can get the model number of the watch you are looking for the stem for...maybe we can find out the part number...any pics of that watch?....hey pocket watch stuff is good stuff to have too...nothing better than a good pocket watch...my first watch ever was a 100 yr old pocket watch....

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have the part number John. The watch is Cyma Watersport. If you look in the non japanese section I have posted some pics, thread is "can someone date these". Sorry but don't know how to link to other posts. The movement is a R459 and the stem part number is W2287, think the stem for a 458 has the same part number too.
I could buy a new one, I think Cousins here in the UK stock them but they are 12 quid. Was hoping to find one among the ones I have if I'm lucky, somehow doubt it though:)

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
I have bought lots like this before. I try to examine the pictures to make sure there are enough brand name parts like Seiko and Bulova to make sorting and figuring out application easier. Still you will always end up with mystery parts in tins with no part number anywhere and no idea what the part fits. All you can do is make sure there is enough easily identifiable brands in the lot before you bid.

·
Registered
6,720 Posts
well the best you can do is if you have one to try it..do you have any of the old stem or is it missing?....too bad we can not find you any reference material...hey it looks like the old crown and stem were there...pm me please...i have a idea...God Bless John

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have bought lots like this before. I try to examine the pictures to make sure there are enough brand name parts like Seiko and Bulova to make sorting and figuring out application easier. Still you will always end up with mystery parts in tins with no part number anywhere and no idea what the part fits. All you can do is make sure there is enough easily identifiable brands in the lot before you bid.
Yes, if I do it again I will ask for some photos at least. I bought this lot blind with only a brief description. It's one of those things you sometimes just take a chance on. On the whole I think I did not do too badly, there are a couple of nice old watches that I like and can fool around with and enough crystals to re-tile the bathroom with if I get bored:)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts