The Watch Site banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How can a $100, hand wind Stuhrling watch, keep better time than a $1000 automatic Hamilton watch ? The Hamilton watch loses about one minute a day while the Stuhrling watch keeps accurate time. I guess it is not about keeping accurate time, otherwise everyone would buy a quartz watch ? I have an automatic, quartz and hand wind. Out of the three, as I said, my most expensive being the automatic Hamilton , keeps the worst time.

·
Registered
4,507 Posts
Wind ups are very dependent on their owners lifestyles and wearing habits.
This type of watch should be regulated and adjusted to the wearer's needs.
But it sounds like a service would be a good plan.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Perhaps the Hami needs to be regulated or serviced.

The watch is out of warranty and servicing is probably expensive and no guarantee that there will be an improvement. I had an Emporium Armani watch with a power reserve indicator. The power reserve indicator was always not accurate but it was under warranty. I returned it 2 or 3 times and it was never fixed properly and I ended up returning the watch. I don't mind setting the time ahead every few days, really it is no bother at all. If the watch was not running then perhaps I would consider servicing it.

·
Registered
4,507 Posts
Mary, Mary,....

·
Premium Member
734 Posts
The watch is out of warranty and servicing is probably expensive and no guarantee that there will be an improvement. I had an Emporium Armani watch with a power reserve indicator. The power reserve indicator was always not accurate but it was under warranty. I returned it 2 or 3 times and it was never fixed properly and I ended up returning the watch. I don't mind setting the time ahead every few days, really it is no bother at all. If the watch was not running then perhaps I would consider servicing it.
Find a watchmaker in your area and discuss having your Hamilton serviced with him. its only going to cost about $250, but spread that cost over the next 3 years a its a very small price to pay. If their is no improvement YOUR LOCAL watchmaker will probably put it right - its always cheaper than the watch stopping. A serviced Hamilton will last a life time

·
Registered
55 Posts
Find a watchmaker in your area and discuss having your Hamilton serviced with him. its only going to cost about $250, but spread that cost over the next 3 years a its a very small price to pay. If their is no improvement YOUR LOCAL watchmaker will probably put it right - its always cheaper than the watch stopping. A serviced Hamilton will last a life time
I absolutely agree, and with the synthetic lubricants used nowadays I would think Peter could go longer than 3 years between services. these late model Hamiltons are great watches and should run reliable for quite a few years with minimal service.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts