The Watch Site banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sometimes one can be lucky with a new watch and the regulation is perfect. A Seiko 5 SNKE 51 is one such example which would hold within a second a day for several days, and its biggest deviation in any one day is 5 seconds.

I expected no worse from my SARB033 R615 movement, but it was worse. What became obvious was the sensitivity to position when not being worn. Face up + 8 sec/day, crown up -6 sec/ day which appears more sensitive than the 7S26 or 4R36 models I have.
My Sary 055 was originally -10 s/d and I managed to regulate it from 0 to +4 variation limits.

My Rolex (which is in for service) was losing 9 sec/day but I don't remember it being within the 2s/d claimed by Rolex.

A new Orient GMT (owned by Seiko, caliber 40P51)arrived also out about 10s/d, and after much back and forth adjustment (no time grapher - just observation) lucked in to end up with the most accurate automatic I own. After two weeks it is 1 second different from the start time, and at no time varied by more than +3 seconds from the start setting. I doubt either of my Rolex models will match, let alone top that.

Of course there is a limit to what can be expected from a mechanical watch, but it seems that those limits are not as price dependent as may be expected. Modern manufacturing and luck now have a big say as well.:cool:

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Here is the question. A new Turtle has a 4R36 movement which is an upgrade from the 7S26 due to hacking and winding ability. However, is the 6R15 really that much improvement over the 4R36 other than an 8 hour power advantage?
Sure the lesser movements come with wider tolerances, but that refers to automatic regulation as compared with more attention to regulation in the more expensive units.

As I mentioned in the previous post, the positional error on my SAAB033 seems more than my cheaper calibers.
So, what is your experience with comparing the serviceability, durability, accuracy and reliability of these movements in operation - (not statistics)?

·
Registered
70 Posts
I've seen pretty drastic differences in accuracy with my Seikos. I have a pretty inexpensive Hamilton with an ETA 2804-2 that I measured:
Crown up -4s
Crown down 0s
Dial up -3s
Dial down +4s

I don't recall the accuracy while on the wrist, but it was pretty negligible.

On the other hand, the 6309 I just received was measuring:
Crown up +30s
Crown down -30s
Dial up +20s
Dial down -17s

When wearing the 6309 for the couple days I've had it, it was averaging roughly -20s per day.

I don't know if that has more to do with the beat rate (28,000 vs 21,600) design, or wear though. I don't have the numbers with my, but my much newer 7s26 powered SKX models were similar to the 6309, with a 30-60 second range depending on position.

If you haven't already, check out this open source software for timing. It's been useful for me to learn exactly what position to leave my watches overnight to minimize error.

<edit> can't post links yet. Search "open source time grapher"

I use a cheap USB webcam with a built in mic to measure, although a real microphone can probably do better.

<edit> sorry, I re-read your post and your specific question, I have zero experience with the 6r15 and 4r36 you're asking about. Sorry!

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've seen pretty drastic differences in accuracy with my Seikos. I have a pretty inexpensive Hamilton with an ETA 2804-2 that I measured:
Crown up -4s
Crown down 0s
Dial up -3s
Dial down +4s

I don't recall the accuracy while on the wrist, but it was pretty negligible.

On the other hand, the 6309 I just received was measuring:
Crown up +30s
Crown down -30s
Dial up +20s
Dial down -17s

When wearing the 6309 for the couple days I've had it, it was averaging roughly -20s per day.

I don't know if that has more to do with the beat rate (28,000 vs 21,600) design, or wear though. I don't have the numbers with my, but my much newer 7s26 powered SKX models were similar to the 6309, with a 30-60 second range depending on position.

If you haven't already, check out this open source software for timing. It's been useful for me to learn exactly what position to leave my watches overnight to minimize error.

<edit> can't post links yet. Search "open source time grapher"

I use a cheap USB webcam with a built in mic to measure, although a real microphone can probably do better.

<edit> sorry, I re-read your post and your specific question, I have zero experience with the 6r15 and 4r36 you're asking about. Sorry!
Thank you for your interesting findings on positioning your watch.
I have seen people using a smartphone and mike to listen to their watch, but I am wary of magnetizing my watch near speakers and mikes.
I just use trial and error, but it was enough to show the differences with the 6R15 positions.
As I mentioned, one of my Seiko 7S26 has been quite remarkable in its consistency, so price wasn't a factor here.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts