The Watch Site banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am absolutely in love with the MM300 SBDX001, and I will buy it regardless of the answer, but just for curiosity's sake:

I have gathered that this watch only has one gasket on the stem of the crown inside the crowntube. No backup gaskets in other words. Yet it's obviously rated to 300m and is a "Prospex" watch purpose built for diving, so I guess this gasket has to be pretty robust and "more than enough"? Especially considering that it's good enough for the 300m water resistance rating and also keeps helium from entering the case through the crown.

Are there any stories of MM300s that have leaked throughout the years that you have heard of, or is this just a non issue? Also, is this gasket replaceable without having to change out the whole stem and crown?

Thanks for all replies, stories and experiences shared!

·
Registered
179 Posts
I've owned 2 (still have the second one), have NEVER heard of a problem.

The watch has been in production for over a decade and I'm sure that if there HAD been a problem with the design, Seiko would have addressed it a long time ago.

Buy with confidence in a terrific watch!

Jeff C

·
Registered
744 Posts
Its probably my favourite watch

Ive had lots and lots of other divers. The MM 300 has that " something" that always gets it back on my wrist.

·
Registered
530 Posts
My understanding is it doesn't have the usual crown tube like most watches.

If you strip the threads while closing the crown you need a whole new case.

·
Registered
744 Posts
the crown thread issue has been spoken about

So many times. to me the threads on my watch is silky smooth so no issues there. If i was to nit pick with my watch it could be more accurate. Mine gains +15 seconds in 24 hrs. This according to Seiko is within the specs of this watch. I am going to wait until mine is over a year old, then have it regulated.

·
Ultimate Collector
3,254 Posts
I've got a lot of Seiko's.
The watch that gets the most wrist time is my MM300. It is simply awesome.

·
Registered
6 Posts
So many times. to me the threads on my watch is silky smooth so no issues there. If i was to nit pick with my watch it could be more accurate. Mine gains +15 seconds in 24 hrs. This according to Seiko is within the specs of this watch. I am going to wait until mine is over a year old, then have it regulated.
Depending first of all on the availability of capable and preferably qualified watchmakers (repairers) within your reach Sir.

Monocoque watches are not that common for the day to day watch repairer to deal with, especially such a watch which would need so much attention while closing back the screwdown crystal and respective gaskets after regulation. Not to mention of course the watchmaker's equipment availability to test resistance for He gas.

Are you sure that the watch is not magnetised after all? If this is the case it can be resolved withiut the need to open the case.

·
Registered
195 Posts
My understanding is it doesn't have the usual crown tube like most watches.

If you strip the threads while closing the crown you need a whole new case.

Yes the crown tube is part of the case, but how often does that stripping actually happen? About 10 years ago there was a reported story about this happening to someone, but I've never heard about it happening again and who knows what actually happened then? It is not a real issue of concern with the watch IMO, but rather a bit of urban folklore.

If it was truly an issue we'd have heard a lot more about it.

That said, learn to backthread to engage the threads. It's a regular habit of mine. (Former MM owner.)

·
Registered
443 Posts
seems thinking too much..I saw couple of people forgot to crew back the crowns of the valuable Rolex.

I always say to people around me...if you have doubt, go for Rolex.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts