The Watch Site banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last Saturday my Mum had a heart attack, she said she thought it was a steak pie she ate and that the pastry was giving her heart burn, she took 12 Indijestion tablets over a few hours but to no avail, she then waited until Monday morning and went to a GP he immediatly put her into an ambulance and she went into emergency. Mum went into the corony care unit and has been there since the result of her not listening to her body is two stents in her main artery and the bottom part of the lobe in her heart has been damaged beyong repair, From now on its major medication.

Please Please if you have what feels like heart burn, tightness in the chest with pain radiating down the arms and through the back call an ambulance immediatley the more you wait the more damage you do. From now on my family is dealing with a weaker person than before that will need almost constant care.

Cheers
Mark/

·
Registered
12,328 Posts
so very true.

Unfortunately though, If you are a hypochondriac like me, the effect is the opposite.
I've gone more than 4 times to the hospital insisting I was having a heart attack only to be told all times it was heart burn & anxiety.
In any case, i am not taking the chance, I don't care how many times I get heart burn, I will still go to the hospital.
Better safe than sorry or embarrassed.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Time said:
so very true.

Unfortunately though, If you are a hypochondriac like me, the effect is the opposite.
I've gone more than 4 times to the hospital insisting I was having a heart attack only to be told all times it was heart burn & anxiety.
In any case, i am not taking the chance, I don't care how many times I get heart burn, I will still go to the hospital.
Better safe than sorry or embarrassed.
Great to hear

Cheers
Mark.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
TheTigerUK said:
Sorry to hear that Mark, all the best to her.

Been there myself and it wasent pleasant and it bloody hurt !! ;)
Thanks mate for the kind words

Mark.

·
Registered
28,397 Posts
Sorry about your Mum, Mark. Hope and pray she will do as well as possible under the revised circumstances. Be strong for her.

Norman

·
Registered
9,873 Posts
All the best to you and her, old buddy! Mom's can be stubborn. Mine always insisted she had things she had to do that were more important than lying about in some hospital.

·
Registered
12,328 Posts
Mark, I got so into this, I forgot to wish your mom all the best.
I hope she is fine.

2 years ago, I bought this:
http://www.amazon.com/Philips-HeartStart-Home-Defibrillator-AED/dp/B00064CED6

I have not had the chance to try it yet, and I hope I never do.
However, (there is always a however :-[ ), I did try it on myself just to see if it works.
I didn't read the manual, and I remembered in movies how you always touched the 2 pads together before going for it...
Anyhow, again, without reading the manual, nor how to set the output, I decided to see if it works.
as soon as the 2 pads touched each other, I was thrown back about 2 meters...
the result was a major headache and a terrible feeling of being electrocuted...

still, these portable defib AEDs can and do save lives.
Just read the manual...

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
The symptoms sound very similar to what happened with my dad a few years back. He spent the whole day saying it was heartburn, then the flu. When he started feeling numbness my mom got him to the car and called 911 on the way (25mi from the nearest hospital). She was directed to the nearest fire station which had an ambulance. He also received 2 stents. 1 artery was completely blocked, another 74%. We are very fortunate to live in a time where doctors are capable of doing so much.

You are entirely right, we need to remember that at times our bodies are trying to tell us things. Doctors are capable of a lot but only if they are given the opportunity.

·
AqualandKing
18,386 Posts
Mark if anyone has Broad enough shoulders to deal with this then you have mate.God Bless. O:)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts