The Watch Site banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
No new logos.
No limited edition costing a few thousand dollars.
No stubby hands.

Just a real dive watch, 500$ or less.

Just like this. But instead of a smooth turning bezel a unidirectional clicking one.
With a screw down crown.
Same font.
Exact same look.

Just water 150m proof becomes
water 200m resist unless they can get some kind of historical exception to say proof

I know its not as popular as the first seiko 150m diver, the 6217, or its second version,
but the original 6105 is a beautiful watch that could be made brand new and have desirability and popularity.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Yes! I prefer the -8000 over the -8110 myself. With prices being what they are now, I doubt I'll be able to add one to my collection though.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
mannnn, i gave one at least as good to an EX-gf. i even had jonathan make up a set of end pieces for it. ::: sniff ::: ::: sniff ::: no more watches to gfs, that's for sure. LOL.

<* shark >>><

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sadly you have a choice, limited high end production or X (PS) on the dial.

Rob
This alienates collectors/buyers who would buy a ton of faithful reissues At $500 or so. But not want to spend that on new logo and new hands interpretations or five times that on limited editions.

·
Registered
240 Posts
These are showing up on Aliexpress and Alibaba. I tried to order one on alibaba but minimum order was 300. I know it is a homage. I can't justify the real thing at today's prices.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
That’s the kind of stuff I mean.
people are buying homages, etc.

If they can make the turtle for a street price of $300 in a dizzying array of colors and options,
could they just not have made it with the correct end Lume dot and original type font with no logos?

If they can tool up a bunch of new Seiko 5 options, etc. instead of SLA033 and SLA017 super limited editions with 8L35 they could have made these watches look the same, crank out end pieces for various bracelets they already have, plus offer all three style vintage straps, and generated serious sales volume.
They could be selling real Seiko 35$ straps and 85$ bracelets like crazy.

With the exception of the X/PS logo, not recreating the original Font print, and seconds hand, they already showed they could do this with the turtle.

Seiko makes no money off the second hand/collectors market. They make no money off the homage/replica market. There is an extremely limited amount of money to be made off of the limited edition market. So few pieces to spin up production for Vs selling 40k $500 watches.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
It does look fantastic,

But the sports/dive/mil/pilot watch market seems to be much more open than the dress watch market.

homages, microbrands, major old school companies, newer companies all seem to do well with dive and classic styled divers.

Seiko could make 6r15 powered watches that look just like the 6217, 1st model 6105, 2Nd model 6105,
make a run of end links for already existing oyster, jubilee, beads of rice, etc. already existing and pump real Seiko brand waddle, chocolate bar, and tire tread straps.

At significant popularity and profits.

·
Registered
156 Posts
That would be a great reissue...5625 7000 i think.
They did already re-issue the similar (but not quite the same as the 5625-7000) 5625-7111 / 5625-7113 / 5625-8000 / 5625-8001 in the year 2000, as the SCVN001 (4S15-7040) as a Limited Edition of 2,000 pieces. They are much more expensive than original ones, though.

·
Registered
58 Posts
They did already re-issue the similar (but not quite the same as the 5625-7000) 5625-7111 / 5625-7113 / 5625-8000 / 5625-8001 in the year 2000, as the SCVN001 (4S15-7040) as a Limited Edition of 2,000 pieces. They are much more expensive than original ones, though.
Looks fantastic, but yes quite expensive!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts