The Watch Site banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,282 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
A friend shared this with me today. The caption:

Earth and Moon through Saturn's Rings (5/27/20)
What are those dots between Saturn's rings? Our Earth and Moon. Just over three years ago, because the Sun was temporarily blocked by the body of Saturn, the robotic Cassini spacecraft was able to look toward the inner Solar System. There, it spotted our Earth and Moon -- just pin-pricks of light lying about 1.4 billion kilometers distant. Toward the right of the featured image is Saturn's A ring, with the broad Encke Gap on the far right and the narrower Keeler Gap toward the center. On the far left is Saturn's continually changing F Ring. From this perspective, the light seen from Saturn's rings was scattered mostly forward , and so appeared backlit. After more than a decade of exploration and discovery, the Cassini spacecraft ran low on fuel in 2017 and was directed to enter Saturn's atmosphere, where it surely melted.

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
A friend shared this with me today. The caption:
Earth and Moon through Saturn's Rings (5/27/20)
What are those dots between Saturn's rings? Our Earth and Moon. Just over three years ago, because the Sun was temporarily blocked by the body of Saturn, the robotic Cassini spacecraft was able to look toward the inner Solar System. There, it spotted our Earth and Moon -- just pin-pricks of light lying about 1.4 billion kilometers distant. Toward the right of the featured image is Saturn's A ring, with the broad Encke Gap on the far right and the narrower Keeler Gap toward the center. On the far left is Saturn's continually changing F Ring. From this perspective, the light seen from Saturn's rings was scattered mostly forward , and so appeared backlit. After more than a decade of exploration and discovery, the Cassini spacecraft ran low on fuel in 2017 and was directed to enter Saturn's atmosphere, where it surely melted.

View attachment 449639
That’s an awesome shot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
4,651 Posts
Cassini sent back some incredible pictures of Saturn and its moons. I use to be able to see Saturn's rings with my telescope but there's too many trees at my house now.

·
Premium Member
9,282 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
my older daughter has a pretty nice telescope and we went out into the wilderness of Eastern Oregon last summer on a moonless night and saw the rings of Saturn and a couple moons of Jupiter. Mind-blowing stuff.

Reactions: zeke441

·
Premium Member
9,282 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That's really cool! There is no way we are "it" in the vastness of the universe. I've felt this way since I was a child.
I know right? It's hard to think we are the only ones in this vast expanse of nothingness. Somewhere in a galaxy, far, far away ....

·
Registered
3,302 Posts
Think about how long it takes for things like a radio signal to get to us. If we ever "hear" something from a alien civilization, they might be already gone for millennia.

·
Registered
4,765 Posts
Agreed! There could be civilizations a million years ahead of us. Think of that in terms of technology. They could be watching us now without us ever detecting it. Probably thinking what a bunch of dumbasses, but they have potential given time.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts