The Watch Site banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm watching the National Geographic Channel the other day and they have a documentary on about the odd prevalence of twin births in a few towns in southern Brazil, and in particular, this one little town. The show talked about how that region and parts of Argentina, Uruguay, Paraguay and Chile had become destinations for fleeing German officials during WWII including a few notorious war criminals. more specifically the show focused on Joseph Mengele's activities during his exile in south America and the speculation that surrounded his time in this little town. The question raised was whether he had continued his experiments after the war and whether the town's high twin rate had anything to do with that (it was concluded that it did not, BTW). Anyhow, at the end of the show they go to Brazil's national police archives to research some of mengele's journals to see if anything could be learned about the man and what he did while in this town. while they were there the film makers also showed his personal; effects, which included his watch. The scene very briefly focuses on the watch and what do you know, it was a silver dialed vintage Seiko. It didn't stay online long enough to see what exactly it was, but it might have been a 6000 series dress watch. the funny thing is that they did something the collectors of vintage Seikos are very familiar with. they pulled the old Seiko out of the box, gave it a couple of shakes and it started right up. they even commented on how the watch had spent the past 30+ years in the box and still started right up.

Anyhow, I have attached a picture of the watch found on the national Geographic site below. If anyone has access to the video, maybe you can pull a screen cap of the watch and post the image, as I remember that one being a closeup of the dial.

Yes I know the association is not particularly tasteful, but I figured it would make for a peculiar bit of Seiko history that might be of interest to vintage collectors (if for no other reason than to not want to include the model with that association in their collections, or to included it because of it's notorious connection). perhaps nt tasteful or the best news for the collecting prospects of this particular model, but history none the less.

Attachments

·
Registered
12,319 Posts
definitely an M55. I cant quiet see if its a selfdater or not as the window is not clear (if its a window or a logo).

·
Banned
5,181 Posts
it's got the Roman daywheel...

·
Premium Member
3,045 Posts
Time said:
definitely an M55. I cant quiet see if its a selfdater or not as the window is not clear (if its a window or a logo).
It's a window. Not a clear pic, but it's the same model as mine, except mine does not have a second language day wheel. That one looks to have a Roman numeral day wheel(if you look closely you can see 'II' where the window position should be).

Cheers!
Mike

1 - 5 of 5 Posts