• No way !!!!!!

Votes: 16 30.2%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Administrator
30,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Martin and others have said they would wear this beautiful SilverWave, I will wear all my watches but if I had a NOS vintage especially something like this I just wouldent be able to bring myself to wear it and I tend to be very gentle with mine.

I love a great looking vintage(dial/hands/insert) but i prefer mine to have been used but not abused as then I feel comfortable wearing them.

http://www.thewatchsite.com/21-japanese-watch-discussion-forum/111994-seikomatic-silverwave-50-proof-fresh-1963-a.html

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
Yes, but a) only on special occasions and b) er....it probably ain't ever going to happen.:(

·
Registered
526 Posts
I own a few nos/mint rare vintage Seikos which i wear on special occasions very carefully or around the house,but never for everyday use.:)

Just owning them makes me happy.

·
Registered
198 Posts
"Yes no problem." is perhaps not really true in my case - but I'd wear it. Simply because I could not resist doing so ...

Very nice watch indeed!

·
Registered
6,232 Posts
YES! In fact when I got my 1967 Lord Marvel 36000, I knew it was clean from the pictures, but when I got a chance to inspect it upon arrival including case, crystal and movement, I began to wonder if maybe it very well might have been NOS. I got if from a non-watch seller who did not know what they had for sure.

So I sized it and away we went. Yes I put a few minor blemishes on it but I do not care, if I could have bought it then the way it is now, I would have been thrilled! That's the way I look at it.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
They are mine, I paid for them, I am going to wear them and enjoy them..... and I do!

I enjoy the old scratched up watches as much as my NOS watches :)

·
Registered
39 Posts
Since I have only vintage watches I would have to say "Yes". I do think about my day before I do though. As I've said before a rough work day colours my choice; watches do not go well with welding spatter or lathe chips!
Watches should be worn just as Stradivarius violins should be played.

·
Registered
7,343 Posts
I only have one that I would truly rate as in NOS condition and I can't bring myself to wear it , I've wrestled with this for quite a while as I believe watches are made to be worn but I've come to the conclusion that it really doesn't matter if I don't wear it, I've got loads of watches and even worn in rotation most of them sit in a case for weeks if not months on end.

This watch collecting thing is all madness anyway:grin: what does one more bit of nonsense matter

·
Registered
309 Posts
IMHO watches, like vintage cars, were made to be used....not polished and occasionally stared at. What are we saving them for? Enjoy it now! ;)

·
Registered
9 Posts
I would wear the watch. It's meant to be worn. And it's not like a fine wine where delaying gratification now will give you the opportunity to have an enhanced experience further in the future.

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
If it was truly NOS (discovered in a drawer having never been worn) I'd have a tough time taking the risk. If I did, it would probably only be is 'safe' conditions, and I'd be very careful around door frames etc (that's what I seem to always bonk watches on).

I have a couple watches in near-NOS condition, and although I love wearing them occasionally, I confess to not wearing them as much as I otherwise might, because I worry about hurting their value. May be dumb to own them in such a state, but on some level I feel a sense of stewardship, someone else got it 40-50 years through it's life without mucking it up, to damage it on my watch (pun intended) seems irresponsible.

·
Registered
94 Posts
had a few golden oldies and wore them in rotation but im a wearer not a hoarder. i do know a few boys who have watches in the safe still wrapped in the delivery film but for me that's comic book guy territory!

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
I only have one NOS piece, a 6138-8000 which is rare by itself, let alone in NOS condition, it still has the caseback and bracelet stickers on. I will not wear that watch. Why?

- removing these stickers and getting the case marked will reduce it's value by roughly 50%
- there are enough pieces in very nice, gently worn condition out there. No need to wear out the 0.01% of pieces that haven't been worn before.

...but on some level I feel a sense of stewardship, someone else got it 40-50 years through it's life without mucking it up, to damage it on my watch (pun intended) seems irresponsible.
Excellent point, a 100% agreed!!

Agreed! No sense owning something, if you're not going to enjoy it.
Absolutely agreed. However, as a collector, I do not necessarily need to wear a watch to fully appreciate it. Watches were made to be worn? Sure. But then I have heard they were made to be kept as singles, maybe pairs but NOT in flocks of dozens or hundreds, either ;-)

Best,
Hermann

1 - 20 of 23 Posts