The Watch Site banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A fellow SCWF forum member contacted me and asked me to work on a couple of his vintage Seikos, one of which was his 73 7016-5001 Monaco. I have spent a lot of time under the hood of a 7017 having spent the better part of a year tearing apart and restoring my own but this is my first 7016 Monaco. What is most interesting about this particular Daini movement is the combined H/M sub register at 6 o'clock along with quick set day and date on a flyback chronograph design.

What a feat of engineering this movement is. One of the more complex movements I have worked on to date. The gear set to drive the H/M hands for the sub register are simply amazing. I did a full case refinish on this piece along with complete overhaul of the movement. Note the grunge inside the outer case and the lower case. Amazingly, the movement had no signs of water intrusion or dirt getting in. Dial and hands were in excellent shape.

During the teardown and inspection, I found the jewel in the automatic framework for the winding pawl gear was cracked and chipped on the upper surface. I had a 7017 donor movement in my inventory of parts and was able to harvest a good jewel from that movement and install it on this 7016. Very pleased with the end result. Stunning timepiece. Thanks for looking.

Before:

Automatic Framework Winding Pawl Jewel Replacement:

Assembly:

After:

·
Registered
3,471 Posts
That turned out nice John! Great work!
I've got one of those in my project line up but I never seem to be able to get to it.

I also had another one which I finished a while back which was years in the making starting with the purchase of a nos dial.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Paul, Tom, thank you for the compliments. Really enjoyed working on this challenging 7016 movement. Setting the upper chrono bridge and getting all the hammers just right and train of gears in their pivots was difficult.

Tom - Beautiful Monaco. Love those green dial versions.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Nice job! I have a pretty much identical example which will be headed your way at some point.

·
Registered
24,640 Posts
Cleaned up very well...Had some of the orange sub dial paint come off during service ?

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Cleaned up very well...Had some of the orange sub dial paint come off during service ?
Good eye. Some orange paint was lifting around the pivot tube on the sub dial minute hand. I did my best not to disturb it but as soon as I put some clear plastic over it to lift the hand with my levers, off it came. Hand must have been painted with a white base coat prior to adding he orange paint. I did my best to touch it up. Really not noticeable to the naked eye.

·
Registered
24,640 Posts
Good eye. Some orange paint was lifting around the pivot tube on the sub dial minute hand. I did my best not to disturb it but as soon as I put some clear plastic over it to lift the hand with my levers, off it came. Hand must have been painted with a white base coat prior to adding he orange paint. I did my best to touch it up. Really not noticeable to the naked eye.
At least I can still see :grin: The watch looks amazing :cool:

·
Registered
386 Posts
John, my guess is that’s pretty common with these. Years ago, when I was originally looking for one, I hadn’t realized that the sub-dial hand was orange because so many of them looked off-white. At the time I had assumed that they had faded, but your experience suggests that the original top coat may simply flake off over time.

·
Registered
3,471 Posts
Here's a tip for getting those tiny sub dial hands off without the use of levers:
After the other hands have been removed, loosen the dial feet screws and slowly pry the dial up while using your cupped hand for a back stop to avoid them launching off into space, The hands will pop right off and I have yet to mark a dial removing the sub dial hands in this manor.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Here's a tip for getting those tiny sub dial hands off without the use of levers:
After the other hands have been removed, loosen the dial feet screws and slowly pry the dial up while using your cupped hand for a back stop to avoid them launching off into space, The hands will pop right off and I have yet to mark a dial removing the sub dial hands in this manor.
Thanks for the tip Tom.

·
Registered
2,105 Posts
Nice job again John. Thanks to you, and all of the others, for sharing these informative posts with detailed pics.!

Michael

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
Excellent work as always, thanks for sharing! My one of these, which is 50% done, also needs the winding pawl jewel replacing. Coincidence or flaw with the model I wonder? I’m saving my pennies to buy a jeweling kit. Well I’m supposed to be, I keep finding cheap watches to buy instead.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
3,471 Posts

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
Love the descriptions John. Terrific work!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 19 of 19 Posts