The Watch Site banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Hello folks,

I found a seller on our favorite auction site, who goes by the appellation "seikocitizencollector" and is from California (where I spent most of my life) so you know he is a whack-job!! :-D He is on a few of the Seiko-Citizen forums as "bbilford83" and he seems like a very nice fellow.

Anyhow, he had some Seiko vintage watches for sale recently, and no one was bidding on them*, and they seemed interesting (I had none of the models that were for sale) so I put in bids and won all three! :-D

Here is the package that arrived just a few days later.

Click for Big Image

I thought his method of packaging was imaginative, but then I noticed there wasn't good protection for impacts to the sides of the watches.

Click for Big Image

And when I turned the package over, there was an "impact" damage, right where the carmel dialed 6106 was. :-\

Click for Big Image

Then the first day I wore that watch, the second hand fell off. :-( Who knows if these events are related, but I wrote to Brian and asked him to protect his watches better for future shipments.

Okay, enough shipping angst! :-D Here are the three watches liberated from the box. Let's look at them in calendar order, 1973, 1974, then 1975, okay?

Click for Big Image

Here is the 1973 Seiko ADVAN 7019-7230, with its strange hexagonal "dazzle" dial, faceted crystal, funky chunky case, white painted hands and "plate" style bracelet. :-O I often mention that 1973 seemed like the "acid trip" year for Seiko designers, but I think whoever designed this this one was also "flame-boy-ant", if you sense my sway!! :-D

Click for Big Image

A picture of the crown side...

Click for Big Image

The "common" side...

Click for Big Image

The bracelet clasp...

Click for Big Image

And the obligatory case-back picture.

Click for Big Image

One very nice thing about all of these watches from Brian, is that he and I have about the same size wrist! So everyone of these I was able to wear, right out of the box!

Click for Big Image

Groovy!! :-D

Okay! Moving onto 1974!

This beauty is a 1974 Seiko DX, 6106-7759. Brian described it as a "deep red" dial, "something between rust and burgundy", when I would call it a golden caramel in color.

Click for Big Image

Here is the crown side...

Click for Big Image

And the common side...

Click for Big Image

A picture of the bracelet clasp...

Click for Big Image

And the mandatory case-back shot.

Click for Big Image

Here it is on my wrist, before the second hand fell off! :-\

Click for Big Image

I LOVE that color!!

Now let's look at the 1975 Seiko DX 6106-7729. This model has an interesting textured blue dial and a faceted crystal.

Click for Big Image

And here is the crown side...

Click for Big Image

The "common" side...

Click for Big Image

A picture of the clasp...

Click for Big Image

And a picture of the case-back.

Click for Big Image

Again, instantly wearable, with the original bracelet.,

Click for Big Image

Well, I think did okay! :-D

One thing about these watches, they all have the characteristic that you set the "day of the week" by pushing the crown in "all the way".

The 1973 Seiko ADVAN 7019-7230 sets the date at the "first crown out position", but the two 6106 watches set the date by pushing the crown in part-way.

I had heard of watches that used this method of setting the date, but these are the first ones to enter my collection that use that method.

Thanks for clicking in!

- Thomas

(* I wonder if there is a hack to eBay, that allows someone to see my "Max Bid"? For the auction of the 1973 Seiko ADVAN 7019-7230 I had set the Max Bid to $169, thinking that no one was going to bid THAT much. And with three seconds left to go the bid was still at $70. Then with two seconds left, the bid jumped to $168.50!! WTF? This was the third time, the third auction, that just before the end of the bidding time the "bid" suddenly jumped to within pennies of my Max Bid?!? I am no longer using the Max Bid feature for eBay, instead I will stay awake watching the bid, placing my highest bid just seconds before the auction ends. :-\ )

·
Registered
170 Posts
Nice watches Thomas. I recently bought a 6119-8273, also from this seller if I remember correctly. It arrived safely and his description was accurate. Not sure why i bought it because I already have one! Anyway, a very similar thing happened with the "max bid", someone bid within the last few seconds, close to what i had entered as my max bid. I don't have any reason to suspect foul play though. I think someone tried to snipe it at the last second and just came up a little short. I think i paid about what it's worth in its current condition. It has the original bracelet, and the dial, hands and case are all in very nice shape; it runs ok but the hour hand gets stuck around 7:00, so i need to sorry that out. Maybe the cannon pinion? I haven't looked into it any further yet. This was in the description so i was not misled at all and I bid accordingly.

·
Registered
529 Posts
For bidding, you can try using an eBay snipe service like gixen. I use it often, you just enter your max bid and item number and it'll snipe it for you so you don't need to stay awake or follow the auction till the last minute.

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
That Advan is gorgeous, wonderful!

·
Registered
3,916 Posts

Hello folks,

I found a seller on our favorite auction site, who goes by the appellation "seikocitizencollector" and is from California (where I spent most of my life) so you know he is a whack-job!! :-D He is on a few of the Seiko-Citizen forums as "bbilford83" and he seems like a very nice fellow.

Anyhow, he had some Seiko vintage watches for sale recently, and no one was bidding on them*, and they seemed interesting (I had none of the models that were for sale) so I put in bids and won all three! :-D

Here is the package that arrived just a few days later.

Click for Big Image

I thought his method of packaging was imaginative, but then I noticed there wasn't good protection for impacts to the sides of the watches.

Click for Big Image

And when I turned the package over, there was an "impact" damage, right where the carmel dialed 6106 was. :-\

Click for Big Image

Then the first day I wore that watch, the second hand fell off. :-( Who knows if these events are related, but I wrote to Brian and asked him to protect his watches better for future shipments.

Okay, enough shipping angst! :-D Here are the three watches liberated from the box. Let's look at them in calendar order, 1973, 1974, then 1975, okay?

Click for Big Image

Here is the 1973 Seiko ADVAN 7019-7230, with its strange hexagonal "dazzle" dial, faceted crystal, funky chunky case, white painted hands and "plate" style bracelet. :-O I often mention that 1973 seemed like the "acid trip" year for Seiko designers, but I think whoever designed this this one was also "flame-boy-ant", if you sense my sway!! :-D

Click for Big Image

A picture of the crown side...

Click for Big Image

The "common" side...

Click for Big Image

The bracelet clasp...

Click for Big Image

And the obligatory case-back picture.

Click for Big Image

One very nice thing about all of these watches from Brian, is that he and I have about the same size wrist! So everyone of these I was able to wear, right out of the box!

Click for Big Image

Groovy!! :-D

Okay! Moving onto 1974!

This beauty is a 1974 Seiko DX, 6106-7759. Brian described it as a "deep red" dial, "something between rust and burgundy", when I would call it a golden caramel in color.

Click for Big Image

Here is the crown side...

Click for Big Image

And the common side...

Click for Big Image

A picture of the bracelet clasp...

Click for Big Image

And the mandatory case-back shot.

Click for Big Image

Here it is on my wrist, before the second hand fell off! :-\

Click for Big Image

I LOVE that color!!

Now let's look at the 1975 Seiko DX 6106-7729. This model has an interesting textured blue dial and a faceted crystal.

Click for Big Image

And here is the crown side...

Click for Big Image

The "common" side...

Click for Big Image

A picture of the clasp...

Click for Big Image

And a picture of the case-back.

Click for Big Image

Again, instantly wearable, with the original bracelet.,

Click for Big Image

Well, I think did okay! :-D

One thing about these watches, they all have the characteristic that you set the "day of the week" by pushing the crown in "all the way".

The 1973 Seiko ADVAN 7019-7230 sets the date at the "first crown out position", but the two 6106 watches set the date by pushing the crown in part-way.

I had heard of watches that used this method of setting the date, but these are the first ones to enter my collection that use that method.

Thanks for clicking in!

- Thomas

(* I wonder if there is a hack to eBay, that allows someone to see my "Max Bid"? For the auction of the 1973 Seiko ADVAN 7019-7230 I had set the Max Bid to $169, thinking that no one was going to bid THAT much. And with three seconds left to go the bid was still at $70. Then with two seconds left, the bid jumped to $168.50!! WTF? This was the third time, the third auction, that just before the end of the bidding time the "bid" suddenly jumped to within pennies of my Max Bid?!? I am no longer using the Max Bid feature for eBay, instead I will stay awake watching the bid, placing my highest bid just seconds before the auction ends. :-\ )

I tried that a few times and never again. I rather stay around for the last hour , drink my coffee and go for the best on it. I also wondered if some one was ..... " Messing Around " , with the Bid machine.

·
Registered
931 Posts
I have bought several watches from Brian AKA Seikocitizencollector over the last 1 1/2 years and have nothing but good things to say about this seller and fellow forum member .
On top of that he he has a plethora of Seiko and Citizen knowledge ...if he doesn't know he will say so . I have been lucky to score 2 of my favorite watches from him .

·
Registered
2,316 Posts
Great looking watches!

No offense, but how could they have possibly been packed better? I wish all my purchases were packed that well. :)

·
Special Member
1,818 Posts
Great looking watches and a nice pick up.

I really like the blue DX and the Advan but I am a sucker for faceted crystals.

1973 was not just an "acid trip" year for Seiko. The Advan dial reminds me of my Citizen with a honeycomb style dial also from 1973.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts