The Watch Site banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Part 3 of this series of watch restorations involves a 6139-6000 70m Proof. This watch definitely shows its age with some interesting patina on the dial and hands. Credit the fantastic dial and hand re-lume to GuyJ who had performed this work for the SCWF member prior to me receiving the watch for service and restoration. The goal here was to move this watch to the correct notch case from a no notch case it was in as well as install the correct two part sweep hand. In addition to the case swap, the outer bezel and inner rotating ring were also replaced with ones in better condition. As some of you may know, moving a watch like this running a 6139A cal movement from a B style no notch case to a notch case has its challenges as I soon found out. Special thanks to Tom (Seikopsycho2) for his assistance and advice in helping me navigate some issues that ultimately allowed me to successfully transition this watch to the correct notch case.

This watch is the one on the right in this lineup of 3 shown below:

Before: (Note no notch case, lack of two part sweep, and misaligned day wheel)

Found Issues - (Bad Chrono Wheel, Loose Canon Pinion, Bad Balance, Day Wheel Star Gear Repair, Winding Weight Repair, Upper and Lower MS Arbors Jeweled)

Movement Service:

Timing and Regulation:

Final Assembly:
This is where things got interesting. This watch had the later style inner rotating ring with the teeth on the underside of the ring as opposed to the earlier rotating rings with the teeth on the outer edge of the ring. My understanding is the later rings will work in earlier cases but not visa versa. Upon receiving the watch I test fit the movement and inner rotating ring into the notch case I was supplied with along with the original no notch case crystal gasket retaining ring, L shape crystal gasket, and the crystal. I did not snap the outer bezel onto the case but held the crystal in place with my thumb and tested that the inner rotating ring would rotate. It all appeared to work fine. The issue came when I was assembling the watch, the outer bezel would not snap down on the notch case. Per Tom, the earlier notch cases used a thinner crystal gasket retaining ring (CGRR). There were also some variations on the dial spacer rings but this was not an issue for me as this watch used the earlier dial spacer ring with vertical sides. Turns out the later case design used a thicker CGRR measuring 1.27mm thick and width of 1.98mm. The additional thickness of the CGRR was preventing the bezel from seating properly and snapping down on the notch case. The earlier CGRR measures 0.83mm thick with width of 1.98mm. This thinner ring would allow the outer bezel to snap down onto the notch case and also allow the inner bezel to rotate with the crown gear. Thankfully, I was able to source an earlier thinner CGRR to make it all work. See pics below.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Excellent series and some great work there John.

It does show that there is more that goes into repairing a watch than merely a clean and oil.

Dealing with obscure problems and other repair attempts are really challenging as is trying to get the correct parts.

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
A terrific series John! Oh my did you try some serious shenanigans to get these three done. Your diligence is very impressive. It seems that both you and Simon have had some challenges with projects lately. I’m very happy that it wasn’t me this time giving you these watch challenges.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
30 Posts
Wow impressive work.
Did the watch originally supposed to have notch case? I read that by mid 70 Seiko already transitioned to non notch case.
Also noticed that the rotor have daini text on it, isn’t that supposed to be only on US model?

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wow impressive work.
Did the watch originally supposed to have notch case? I read that by mid 70 Seiko already transitioned to non notch case.
Also noticed that the rotor have daini text on it, isn’t that supposed to be only on US model?
Well, I could not tell you yes or no. I just did what the member asked me to do. I believe the notch case and two part sweep are correct for this model. I believe I swapped out the rotor from a donor movement. One that had a better appearance. You may be correct about the Daini text. Did not notice that.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Well, I could not tell you yes or no. I just did what the member asked me to do. I believe the notch case and two part sweep are correct for this model. I believe I swapped out the rotor from a donor movement. One that had a better appearance. You may be correct about the Daini text. Did not notice that.

I see, if it indeed came with proof/proof But non notch case I wonder how rare it is since presumably the transitional piece would only made for a month or two at most. Everyone seems to want the notch case though.
Does the thinner crystal gasket work with later 330W18GN crystal?
Let me know if you want to trade with non Daini rotor , I have couple mint no text version.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I went ahead and made the switch to the winding weight on the Proof/Proof to a no text version. Thanks Boostchrono for the heads up.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts