The Watch Site banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
507 Posts
Kraftwerck, thanks for posting this article. I have been following this watch closely and am now certain that this is a milestone in movement production.

I also enjoyed the many other interesting articles on Europa Star.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I picked up one of these when I was in Switzerland some time ago and I must say that the quality is much better than expected. It's still a plastic watch, but a well made one that is. I got the black one and the strap is one of my favorites

·
Registered
100 Posts
I recently picked one up and am enjoying it, but boy is it noisy...

I don't understand the (mainstream) press saying there's something revolutionary about the price point, when my Seiko 5 cost under $50... But hey!

One amusing side note was that I thought a reviewer who called the Sistem51 "too big/thick" was crazy, but upon comparing it to both my Seiko5 and Black Monster, he may have been right. It's closer to the Monster than to the 5! I guess I'm just not used to wearing dainty watches anymore after years of Monster exposure.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Swatches are always cool . Just can't read them all :)
I made the decision based on the style (from the four available variants), and only upon getting home realized that I had picked the one without minute (or hour) indices!

There's minute track on the chapter ring, but it's printed white on white.
Incidentally, I also learned that the red dots represent the location of the jewels, and the colored dots represent the location of the spots where the movement is soldered together... It's not just random!

·
Registered
411 Posts
I think some of the significance of the System 51 are:

- simple, consists of only 51 parts, and all held together by one central screw. cheap and easy to manufacture
- signifies that swiss made mechanical (automatic) time piece can be (relatively) inexpensive
- may open up the market to younger audience to get them to wear (mechanical) watches, to get them to get hooked to the drugs when they are young. :)

I am sure Swatch will eventually release they metal series with System 51 movement. So System 51 is quite an important product :)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Interesting stuff, but I wonder if it will take with the mass market. As it has already been noted, the Seiko 5 is a much more affordable mechanical watch and includes a metal case.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Interesting stuff, but I wonder if it will take with the mass market. As it has already been noted, the Seiko 5 is a much more affordable mechanical watch and includes a metal case.
Different market. I think that the typical SKX buyer would not even consider the Swatch and vice versa.

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
:iagree:

I think the same. As said before, these watches have a public of their own.
When Swatch watches appeared, around '82, I saved money for a couple of months and bought myself my first Swatch, and since then developed a love for these colorful watches that last until today. Bought the last one last week ;).

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I wear this one with a suit and tie for work, and get compliments every time. Compliments I never get wearing any of my other watches :grin:

·
Registered
837 Posts
Sorry to revive the thread,

Just wondering after the year passed, how does the Sistema Swatch compare with your expectations?

Am thinking of getting one.

·
Registered
571 Posts
I have one and the only thing that makes me keep it is that it is a gift... Very noisy watch, rotor makes à lot of noise, case is piece of plastic gunk and on mine the outer bezel is getting loose / ungluing...date jumps at 2.30...For the price get a skx007...

Envoyé de mon LT25i en utilisant Tapatalk

·
Registered
837 Posts
thanks for the feed back.

Though it does appeal to me - strictly from a collection point of view - as being the first automatic swiss watch to be totally made by a machine.

I would think, if I bought one, it would not really enjoy much wrist time, as much as the Seiko/Citizen watches. So noise would not be that bad.

Kind rgds
Jef

1 - 19 of 19 Posts