The Watch Site banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
The Joker
29,406 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This date window, IMHO, looks ridiculous on a 48MM diameter watch.
(Image ChronoShark)

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Too small for such a large dial, and also should replace the 15 minute mark (not be beside it) IMO.

BTW, you can post the pic directly.

·
Premium Member
6,179 Posts
handsome looking watch, but the day window does seem a bit off balance, size wise. Swiss Legend? Isn't these one of those Chinese made, thrid party manufactured, invicta-owned brands, that get sold for a fraction of their ridiculous supposed MSRP's, on late night television sales shows?

·
Registered
34 Posts
These do have "Swiss" movements in them. In this case it is a Claro-Semag CL-888. Now, we have already investigated this on the AWF and found that Claro--Semag was taking a Sea-Gull ST16 movement, refinishing it, doing a couple of upgrades and pawning it off as their own. Here is the parts breakdown I commissioned:

http://www.network54.com/Forum/642233/thread/1254601992/Claro-Semag+CL-888+versus+Sea-Gull+ST16+tear+down

I own a Zodiac Oceanaire with the same movement. Essentially a Citizen 8200 with hacking and Seiko "magic fingers" style bi-lateral winding added.

This is my Swiss Legend which was used in that comparison I linked to:

It is actually a very nicely finished watch and is a step above Invicta in this regard. Even though the ebache is definately Chinese sourced they did do the Swiss "trick" to have enough Swiss work done to the movement to have it meet the requirements for Swiss Made.

However, for a bit more money you could buy a Revue Thommen which will come with an honest to goodness ETA 2824-2 which is also 28800bph versus the 21600bph in the Claro Semag.

I have my Swiss Legend more as a curiousity and as evidence to back up my claim that the Claro Semag CL-888 is just a Sea-Gull ST16 in Swiss clothing.

Then again I have a Zodiac Oceanaire which is also "Swiss" even though it is doing the same trick.

This is actually a really nice watch which is unappreciated in my opinion...

Of interest is that the Claro Semag CL-888 actually has 21 jewels just like the Sea-Gull ST16. A little Swiss slight of hand to try to distance the CL-888 from where it comes from.

Isthmus said:
handsome looking watch, but the day window does seem a bit off balance, size wise. Swiss Legend? Isn't these one of those Chinese made, thrid party manufactured, invicta-owned brands, that get sold for a fraction of their ridiculous supposed MSRP's, on late night television sales shows?

·
The Joker
29,406 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Isthmus said:
Don't know, but all the SL's I've seen offered for sale are no less than 45MM diameter which puts them out of range of my further consideration.

·
Banned
2,569 Posts
normdiaz said:
Don't know, but all the SL's I've seen offered for sale are no less than 45MM diameter which puts them out of range of my further consideration.
I agree about the tiny misplaced date window; it looks silly ::)

The reason it is so small is that the movements used are only 26mm wide and that limits the size of the date wheel to a few mm less.

These huge watches would be much better served with the 'big' date display; but that would require the use of a different calibre.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
I have this Christopher Ward (uses the Swiss 2824 movement) and the small date window annoys me on this! Would look better with no date at all I reckon if it can't be bigger than it is:

Cheers,
Sweephand

1 - 8 of 8 Posts