The Watch Site banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
5,973 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if anyone could help me with a definitive answer regarding the chronograph sweep and minute recording hands on a 6139-7030.

The watch is from November 1971 and has the B series movement.

All the pictures I have been able to find show white hands so would yellow have been correct at any point in its history? I would like to keep them yellow because I have several 7030's with white hands and I thought yellow would make a nice change. They are not repainted.

The watch was one I purchased last week and is due for a little work so keep them peeled.

BTW: I bought it for parts but behind the crystal the dial is pretty nice so, change of plans it is getting refurbished.

In anticipation...thanks for your input:93:

·
Registered
3,665 Posts
Can't help you with a definitive answer Mike but I do like the yellow hands. I only have two of this model and both have the white hands.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Not a 6139 and I'm no expert but possibly this was Seikos yellow phase? It's just I've noticed a lot of the 70/71 6138-0011's had yellow second hands. Folk say they are faded orange hands but that's not correct as orange does not fade to yellow :) I've read folk saying they are replacement hands but that's emm crap as it's only 70/71 watches I've seen them on and there were a aweful lot of seconds hands replaced on watches of those years if that is true :)

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Do a search under google for 1971 Seiko Chronograph and see how many have yellow seconds hands :)

·
Registered
3,665 Posts

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
My 7070 & 7030 both have white.
I quite like the yellow though, makes it look like a mini 6138-3000.
Ditto. My 3002 is a '71 watch with yellows. Must admit even though it was my first Seiko chrono it's my least favourite watch :undecided:

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
From the minimal research I've done, it seems to me that the common chrono models can be found in apparently original condition with any of red, orange, yellow or white hands. Maybe some got replaced with genuine parts back in the day, but there's enough variation to make me think there were no hard and fast rules as to which model left the factory with which colour hands.

·
Registered
5,973 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
From the minimal research I've done, it seems to me that the common chrono models can be found in apparently original condition with any of red, orange, yellow or white hands. Maybe some got replaced with genuine parts back in the day, but there's enough variation to make me think there were no hard and fast rules as to which model left the factory with which colour hands.

Thank you, that was my conclusion from cruising the net, I was wondering if anyone had bought one new in the day and thus could be definate.

In light of the above I will keep them yellow for the baby jumbo look.

BTW: Tone, how can you not like the 3002? I do not have one but the classic restrained style appeals to me.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Thank you, that was my conclusion from cruising the net, I was wondering if anyone had bought one new in the day and thus could be definate.

In light of the above I will keep them yellow for the baby jumbo look.

BTW: Tone, how can you not like the 3002? I do not have one but the classic restrained style appeals to me.
I know Mike there must be something wrong with me!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Mine also has white hands. I've actually only seen them with white, but the yellow works very well!

I actually found a completely original "barn find" in a watch makers drawer that some one had left and not picked up for decades. We cleaned it up, new gaskets, I bought it and it is absolutely perfect. The reason I like it is that the simpler style seems to dress up well. Some think chronos are not dressy but this one does a good job. And if it is fitted with black leather like this…very nice!

·
Registered
8 Posts
jasui, its good to see you on SCWF.

I have looked at your inspirational blog several times, we share a passion for 6138/9's:93:
Hi, thanks.

The Seiko 6138-39 best watches and designs of all.

I blog for solving doubts about versions and models. When I started be a lot of doubts, dial, hands, bracelet. Here be clear by each version

1 - 19 of 19 Posts