The Watch Site banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A question that has probably been tossed around a bit in the past, and if it is an old discussion forgive me, but I have always wondered, how is it that some of the sellers on Ebay can put SEIKO on their bracelets and not violate any trademark laws?

I often buy watch collections and sell the ones I don't want, and in a few instances I had a vintage art deco watch that I sold and put the word "tank" in the title. Not only did Cartier contact me through ebay and tell me that using the word was not allowed since that was a Cartier trademark, but when I stubbornly didn't listen, eBay pulled the auction.

If that is the case, how can some sellers put SEIKO on their non-Seiko super oyster bracelet, for example, without getting into trouble? I admit I like the products, and buy them, but it has always made me wonder.

Any insight?

·
Registered
530 Posts
it's all up to the company. Some defend their copyright vigorously like Cartier and Rolex . Some really don't care unless it a big case involving money and fraud.

·
Registered
27 Posts
it's all up to the company. Some defend their copyright vigorously like Cartier and Rolex . Some really don't care unless it a big case involving money and fraud.
Correct.

Copyrights and patents only establish OWNERSHIP. It's up to the owner to decide if his ownership has been violated and then decide if it's worth taking take action to defend his ownership.

Third-parties (such as eBay, Facebook, or cops) do not usually swing into action unless you report an ownership-violation. Third-parties don't normally go trolling for ownership-violations on their own.

This is why eBay and other online entities normally wait for complaints before acting.

·
Craftsman
338 Posts
As above, Seiko don't seem to be bothered with any of the a/m stuff out there, plus I also believe that WJean (I'm guessing that this is one of the sellers the op refers to?) uses a genuine Seiko branded clasp attached to a a/m bracelet which muddys the waters further...

·
Special Member
8,203 Posts
Well I bought an ebay "SEIKO OEM" bracelet not too long ago off evilbay and while quite nice and solid and a very good value, I really don't know if it's genuine. With so much experience with something like 100 real Seiko bracelets, this one just seems off a bit - the clasp construction, the font used, the entire construction, etc etc etc.

So this thread makes me agree that unlike Rolex that will spend $50,000 to shut down every internet schmuck pawning off fakes, Seiko doesn't throw that big of a fit.

Reminds me of how Volkswagen shut down every Vintage VW shop and seller who just so much as used the circular VW logo in their ads for reproduction parts, etc. EVEN when the part itself had no VW logo, words, or replicate VW OEM part numbers. This pisses us all off a lot and took no love away from the classics but made us not like the idea of heading into a VW dealership to give those pretentious a-holes our $30K+.

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
A question that has probably been tossed around a bit in the past, and if it is an old discussion forgive me, but I have always wondered, how is it that some of the sellers on Ebay can put SEIKO on their bracelets and not violate any trademark laws?

I often buy watch collections and sell the ones I don't want, and in a few instances I had a vintage art deco watch that I sold and put the word "tank" in the title. Not only did Cartier contact me through ebay and tell me that using the word was not allowed since that was a Cartier trademark, but when I stubbornly didn't listen, eBay pulled the auction.

If that is the case, how can some sellers put SEIKO on their non-Seiko super oyster bracelet, for example, without getting into trouble? I admit I like the products, and buy them, but it has always made me wonder.

Any insight?
One trick I use when I sell one of my old Bulova 1940's rectangular case watches now and then is to list them as a "Tanq" watch design. I have seen other list these style cases the same way. Everyone knows what you mean and they can't complain. I could see a company like Mercedes going after someone selling vintage Mercedes parts because Mercedes never discontinues any part for any car. VW on the other hand is going after people for selling vintage items that they have discontinued and do not even offer for sale. The last good VW made was probably the diesel Rabbit anyway way back in the 70's. The make nothing but pure trash now and their dealer service is horrible. My buddy bought two turbo Jetta's back to back. They could not even get a molding glued back on the door after 4 visits to the dealership!
As far as the well known watch companies that believe only they ae capable of repairing their overpriced products well they can go stuff themselves. I would rather have a Seiko any day of the week and use all of the extra money I saved to buy more Seiko's!

Michael

·
Registered
687 Posts
As above, Seiko don't seem to be bothered with any of the a/m stuff out there, plus I also believe that WJean (I'm guessing that this is one of the sellers the op refers to?) uses a genuine Seiko branded clasp attached to a a/m bracelet which muddys the waters further...

I remember the pages and pages of discussion when the replica 6105 waffle straps were released, one of the main sticking points was the Seiko branding. I seem to recall that the straps were then sold with no branding..... roll forward a couple of years and the straps have the Seiko branding on them again. Stick a genuine buckle on there and most people won't be able to tell the difference. Bearing in mind that there's a genuine NOS waffle strap on ebay for £500 at the moment.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.