The Watch Site banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Special Member
1,817 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I managed to acquire a NOS Citizen Challenge Golf model from Japan that is in great shape as you would expect.

The watch came with the hang tag, manual and original strap.

Unfortunately the original strap has not aged well and is unwearable, so the watch is on a rally style tropic for the moment.

The original strap is a fabric construction with what would have been a faux leather type finish but this has disintegrated with age. The interesting part of the strap is the plastic buckle that has a inner section that moves to friction lock the band in place.

This example from 1973 has a different case back from the earlier versions.

The original releases had a depression on the back to allow a personalized medallion to be fitted for commemorative purposes. This can be seen on the back of this other example I have had for a while.

This case back was from the 7760-770897K model that has a more TV styled dial design.

I also have a 4-771117-K Challenge Golf model with similar styling as the new example but it has a lighter green dial and gold not silver hands and bezel. This one also has the flat back design as it is from the same month as my new example.

I believe that these models were only produced for a few years in the early 1970’s as Japan’s fascination with golf grew.

For those not familiar with the model it has a unique function that allows the wearer to keep track of their golf score. The wearer can track their score from -2, shown in red, to +12 displayed in blue. This is shown in the window at 12 o’clock position.

The score is increased by facing the watch away from the wearer and pressing the crown, the score is moved in the opposite direction by facing it towards the wearer and pressing the crown.

The operational details can be seen in this scan of the operational manual.

Citizen Challenge Golf Manual.pdf (2MB)

I quite like the Challenge Golf models as they are unusual and have an interesting talking point to them.

I will continue to keep a lookout for a nice condition blue dialled version to add to the collection.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Nice buy Anthony - and thanks for posting the instruction manual. I always wondered why mine have the indent in the case back, but no medallion. Great to learn that they came with a plate to engrave to commemorate a tournament or for your initials :)

Stephen

·
Special Member
1,817 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Glad you enjoyed the manual Stephen.

I was also surprised that these models did not have a medallion on the back and initially thought that these may have been like a GS medallion and come loose. Over the years I think I have only seen one possibly two examples that have had the medallions present.

I am thinking that I will get a white traditional tropic strap for a replacement as these seem close to the original design but more readily available.

·
Super Moderator
3,075 Posts
So much that I learned from this post, Anthony. Thank you for sharing, especially the manual. The gravity-dependent quick-setting was used on a few other calibers of the time, but those were more for day and date setting (two separate disks). I'm curious to know how they altered that mechanism to act in two directions on one disk only- I'll have to do some research!

I am thinking that I will get a white traditional tropic strap for a replacement as these seem close to the original design but more readily available.
The Hirsch "Golfer" seems Taylor-made for this watch, and it also comes in white.

·
Special Member
1,817 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks Rob. This is a color version that I do not see very often and it is quite unusual compared to most watch color palettes. Looking at it next to my avatar it does closely match my GFA color scheme.

I think that the manual adds many interesting details for these watches. Not only does it explain the back medallion but it also points out some of the features.

The fact that the counter goes to 12 allows using this as a month display when not on the course is a connection that I had not made before. The unique locking mechanism of the strap allows a perfect fit, so the watch does not move during play, explains why a normal strap design was not chosen.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
For the sake of completeness, here's my TV style model with steel bezel, alongside an original catalog shot:

And one other nice thing about these - they are high beat, running at 28,800bph
:)

Stephen

·
Special Member
3,320 Posts
Fantastic watches and the hang tags, etc. are so cool. I love see mint examples of vintage watches.

:wee_hee:

·
Special Member
1,817 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Great looking box thanks for the photo.

This is one I will have to keep an eye out for along with the bluish dialed version.

·
Registered
941 Posts
Digging up an old post to mention that I’ve just received a Challenge Golf in very good condition. Like Anthony’s, the original white strap has disintegrated. The Hirsch suggestion is a good one that I’ll look in to.

With a great serial number too. 30300001.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
That's a lovely example Ross. Here are the instructions for the unique score counter, complete with the odd amusing translation:

The case back has an indent to allow a plastic medallion to be inserted which could be engraved as a golf competition prize. It's very rare - here's a pic:

Stephen

·
Registered
435 Posts
Digging up an old post to mention that I’ve just received a Challenge Golf in very good condition. Like Anthony’s, the original white strap has disintegrated. The Hirsch suggestion is a good one that I’ll look in to.

With a great serial number too. 30300001.
I love that brown! I didn't know that citizen made golf watch long time ago already

1 - 20 of 23 Posts