The Watch Site banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello everyone!

I just joined this forum, and I hope I will be gaining some knowledge throughout my stay.:)

I have purchased my first mechanical watch ever, the SKX011 (in a new condition), a few days ago. Only after I bought it, I got to know about the Seiko Production Date calculator, which has found that my watch was manufactured back in September 2002.

Anyway, I tried to put the watch next to my ear, and I tried moving it quickly away and back to my ear while being careful about not making the rotor rotate. The sound that is produced during this is completely different from the sound produced when the rotor is rotating. There is definitely some play in the rotor, which can be both felt and heard (barely if the watch isn't next to my ear). I am not sure if it's hitting the caseback though. There might be parts that are out of their places along with the rotor, but I believe there aren't any because I tried to rotate the rotor both when the watch is having the caseback facing the floor and with the dial facing the floor, the rotor turns freely.

Other than that, the watch is running pretty accurate. I can't make any precise comments on the power reserve because the watch is always on my wrist (even while sleeping), but it has never stopped.

I heard that this is a frequent issue, but can someone tell me about its severity? I am also worried about the rotor falling out of its place on its own, can it happen?

The other question I am about to ask might be a bit offtopic, it is about the water resistance of the watch. Do you think the rubber gaskets require a change because of the watch being relatively old?

Thank you.

·
Special Member
5,245 Posts
Every SKX variant that I've had (currently have two variants; 009 and A35) with that same movement has the same play you described.

·
Special Member
1,911 Posts
The other question I am about to ask might be a bit offtopic, it is about the water resistance of the watch. Do you think the rubber gaskets require a change because of the watch being relatively old?
The safest answer, if you're ever questioning the integrity of the gaskets, is simply to replace them (lucky for you gaskets for that case are easy to get and relatively inexpensive!). But, I'd start with popping the case back off and looking at that gasket (may as well look at the crown gasket since the back's already off) - if they don't look cracked/deteriorated, I'd just lube them with some silicon grease and carry on.

·
Registered
882 Posts
Only after I bought it, I got to know about the Seiko Production Date calculator, which has found that my watch was manufactured back in September 2002.
I doubt your watch was made in 2002. The serial number includes a year number, but it's just the last digit of the year. For movements that get produced for longer than a decade I don't think it really knows what to do. If you bought it new, I think it's much more likely that it was made in 2012.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks to all of you for the replies! :)

thewatchsite.com/21-japanese-watch-discussion-forum/109034-rotor-wobble.html
Oh, now I am starting to worry a bit.

I doubt your watch was made in 2002. The serial number includes a year number, but it's just the last digit of the year. For movements that get produced for longer than a decade I don't think it really knows what to do. If you bought it new, I think it's much more likely that it was made in 2012.
I have seen quite some posts saying it's been discontinued, with some of these posts dating back to more than 6 years. I highly doubt it is manufactured in 2012.

·
Researcher
5,311 Posts
There's no need to worry unless you can see wear marks on the caseback or movement.
Just enjoy the watch and stop worrying, it's not an Omega or Rolex, fixing it will be cheap if needed.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
There's no need to worry unless you can see wear marks on the caseback or movement.
Just enjoy the watch and stop worrying, it's not an Omega or Rolex, fixing it will be cheap if needed.
I agree with you, the best option is to stop worrying. After the warranty expires I will see if there are any marks on the caseback due to the rotor. But wait... I just removed the bezel to see if there is dirt underneath, did I void the warranty? :D

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
From what I have read about these watches they can be a little rattly anyway. Plus if you have a metal band/bracelet fitted those can rattle too on the pin. A friend of mine brought one and said it rattled a lot. He knows about watches anyway. He tool the back off and it was just a case that the rotor retaining screw had come loose.
Another friend has one where the wheel for the automatic wind mech had worn and needed replacing which surprised him with a watch made c2002 but both guys think they are great watches and seem very strong as they both hit things with hammers and axes all day long and the watches cope with this no problemo. As for water proof don't worry unless you see moisture under the crystal (glass) but don't go swimming no oceans (or taking a bath) with it on until you have had it properly tested.

T

·
Registered
5,973 Posts
My SKX011J was manufactured in 2011 and they are available from all over the place new today. Just gave it a shake and there are no rattling sounds whatsoever, I would take the caseback off and check for a loose rotor screw. If the bearing is shot buy a new rotor.

I do not know when the 011 started production it could well have been pre 2000's as it is a variant of the 007 and they have been around yonks. A watch in service for a decade or so could well have a clapped rotor bearing.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
My SKX011J was manufactured in 2011 and they are available from all over the place new today. Just gave it a shake and there are no rattling sounds whatsoever, I would take the caseback off and check for a loose rotor screw. If the bearing is shot buy a new rotor.

I do not know when the 011 started production it could well have been pre 2000's as it is a variant of the 007 and they have been around yonks. A watch in service for a decade or so could well have a clapped rotor bearing.

I read it was early 1990's :)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Now I am confused, I removed the bezel on my watch and saw a bit of dust underneath it. I checked the bezel gasket and, to my surprise, it was intact and even had some kind of grease on it. If it was really manufactured back in 2002 the bezel gasket would have been dry, isn't it?

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Now I am confused, I removed the bezel on my watch and saw a bit of dust underneath it. I checked the bezel gasket and, to my surprise, it was intact and even had some kind of grease on it. If it was really manufactured back in 2002 the bezel gasket would have been dry, isn't it?
Grease will stay greasy for years ;)

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
So the screws of the rotor didn't fall into the movement's parts and ruin things?
Tends to be one big screw and some times it can't unscrew all the way due to clearence clarence with the back of the case. I have one watch that has a nice shiny circle on the case backs inside where the screw was loose but could not fall out. There is not much damage a screw can do to a movement anyway. I'm not saying they wont cause damage but as a rule the watch will just stop.

T

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
This topic is a a strange coincidence as this morning I was looking at a 7s26 that someone at work gave me on Monday.
Not working and no longer interested in it, they said I could have it and do as I wish.
It's a black case and bracelet and not my cup of tea as they say but I thought might be worth looking at as a spare movement if I could get it fixed.
It's a glass case back model.
The rotor sounded rough and being able to see in the back as the rotor spun the pawl lever didn't reach back and forth.
I guessed the rotor was loose and popped the back off, tightened the screw down and away she goes.
Cleaned up now and on test, not bad for a freebee.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
This topic is a a strange coincidence as this morning I was looking at a 7s26 that someone at work gave me on Monday.
Not working and no longer interested in it, they said I could have it and do as I wish.
It's a black case and bracelet and not my cup of tea as they say but I thought might be worth looking at as a spare movement if I could get it fixed.
It's a glass case back model.
The rotor sounded rough and being able to see in the back as the rotor spun the pawl lever didn't reach back and forth.
I guessed the rotor was loose and popped the back off, tightened the screw down and away she goes.
Cleaned up now and on test, not bad for a freebee.
Geezer in my humble that is one of the nicest Seikos I have ever seen!

·
Registered
261 Posts
gaskets don't wear out as quickly as one might think. however since you're gonna take the case back off to check the rotor screw, you can examine the gasket......this is very important....please make sure the gasket is in CORRECTLY or you'll get moisture.
.....and not to mention that our board has lotta good watch techs that can check things for ya!!! congrats

1 - 20 of 29 Posts