The Watch Site banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone!

I noticed the forum moved and decided to register right away. I've enjoyed lurking and occasionally posting on the old forum and plan to do the same here.

A bit of a story...

when I was MUCH younger than I am now, a Seiko was a grail watch for me. It's funny because when I saved up enough money working at various part time jobs after school as a kid, I used most of the money to buy my father a watch for his 50th birthday, a Seiko, and my own grail eluded me for another few years.

My Dad wore an Omega for about 25 years before it stopped on him and he threw it in a drawer. I couldn't afford an Omega, and I had no idea that you could 'service' old watches back in those days. I didn't really know much, but I knew I wanted to get him a good new watch and have it engraved on the back. It was just a Seiko SQ50 dress watch, but it cost me $150 bucks (yes, I paid too much) at Brinks Jewelers in Toronto and my Dad liked it and wore it pretty regularly for the next ten years with just one battery change in between.

Today, the old Omega he had and the Seiko are my favourite reminders of him from when he was still around.

About three or four years after getting my father his Seiko, I finally bought my first one. It was shortly followed by another, and many others followed the first two.

Some of you may know me as a bit of a watch flipper from other forums, and currently I don't have a Seiko (other than Dad's old dress watch) in my stable, but I always come to them and I'm sure there'll be more.

Here's a video I made of my favourite Seiko some time ago now (the watch is gone to a new good home, but I want to replace again one day). Hope you like it.

Congrats and much success with the new forum!

JP

·
Registered
547 Posts
JP(Canada) said:
Hey everyone!

I noticed the forum moved and decided to register right away. I've enjoyed lurking and occasionally posting on the old forum and plan to do the same here.
Nice story and video, JP! Good to see you here - kind of like running into a good buddy somewhere other than our usual watering hole... ;D

·
Registered
534 Posts
I loved the video as it really makes a difference from just reading or viewing photos of the iconic MM. You also gave the watch a good sense of size comparison, which is not photo-only distorted....thanks!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Jeje3325 said:
Hey by any chance any pics of your Dad's watches?
Not a great pic, but it's a collection shot (a couple of years ago now). On the far left, a Gold Movado I got as a gift from my colleagues at work. The Seiko and the Omega are next to it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
TakesALickin said:
Nice story and video, JP! Good to see you here - kind of like running into a good buddy somewhere other than our usual watering hole... ;D
LOL....very true! :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts