The Watch Site banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Administrator
33,977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I felt really sorry for Melts/Merritts loss of much of his collection due to theft and i have worried a few times that this could happen to me and even though my collection isent large or valuable compared to some of you guys i would be really pissed if some scum bags were to deprive me of it so...............yesterday i took the plunge and deposited the majority into storage :(

Now for me this is no fun, I cant have a look at what ever because it is not with me, i can't swap a bracelet or any of the things we like to do with our watches.

This move makes me think, is it worth having a collection if you can't see it on demand ?

The only other option would be to buy a biggish safe but apart from that being pricey there is also the logistics of placing it some where :(

Quite "depressing" really :(

·
Registered
379 Posts
That's true... Depressing... But events like that really make you stop and think.

Like you I'm not totally convinced that a safe in the house is the answer unless it's very big, well situated, secured and hidden.

Now a big hungry guard dog...

·
Registered
3,966 Posts
Keeping Them Safe

Well I have done this for mine.
I had a place in my room that was just looking empty against a hollow tile wall.
So what I did was make a built in chest to put into the wall and then make a cover plate with a
(Safe Combination Lock) on it for when I was not around or go on a outing or maybe a vacation.
I designed it so when I am at home it could be uncovered and drawn out just to look like a Chest or Dresser
draw that can be seen.
That is my watch chest and it has a glass top cover that can be seen into and my watchs are all in display.
I have found that when people are around and even my family but not immediate, I can just
push it back into the wall and it just looks like a chest with a nice drawer front showing.
It is mounted on Four sliding tracks so as to not be heavy when drawn out.
It has also a Wooden Cover Plate that is real nice and finished to completely cover it so not to be seen at all,
and it just looks like a wooden wall cover.

It is designed to be a .... ( Two piece Chest ) and it comes out ..... " Top and Bottom individually ", or as a
Two section unit with each having ..... " Eight Drawer sections ", if wanted.
The bottom drawers also keep my ...... ( Hand Gun collection) and other valuables also.
It is very Burglar Proof too, I have ........ " Two very Efficient Guards ", for that reason also.
It is nice to display, but " Security ", must be had or I will loose everything that's valuable in the house.

·
Registered
201 Posts
^^^ sounds like a nice solution!

I made a space behind a panel while renovating the house. It won't fool a skilled burglar for many seconds though. So while I'm looking for a proper safe I put the Peli case in the compost heap when away ...

·
Registered
379 Posts
bork said:
So while I'm looking for a proper safe I put the Peli case in the compost heap when away ...
I like that... almost hidden in plain sight!

I also like longbike's description of the 'Q' Branch solution... What you are missing though are "LASERS"!!

What about this... A tank of piranha... Peli case??

·
Registered
2,974 Posts
I felt really sorry for Melts/Merritts loss of much of his collection due to theft and i have worried a few times that this could happen to me and even though my collection isent large or valuable compared to some of you guys i would be really pissed if some scum bags were to deprive me of it so...............yesterday i took the plunge and deposited the majority into storage :(

Now for me this is no fun, I cant have a look at what ever because it is not with me, i can't swap a bracelet or any of the things we like to do with our watches.

This move makes me think, is it worth having a collection if you can't see it on demand ?

The only other option would be to buy a biggish safe but apart from that being pricey there is also the logistics of placing it some where :(

Quite "depressing" really :(
Having ones watch collection, coin collection, gun collection or any other type of collection stolen sucks BIG time but putting it in a safety deposit box is almost as bad in the senses that you described! Whats the good of having any collection if you cant pull things out and and admire them or change straps etc!
I have often thought of getting a floor safe and (just a smaller one) and have it installed under my carpeting in a closet.

·
Premium Member
2,072 Posts
I would like to point out that this is a public forum, and giving out details of what security you have/have not is probably not a good idea.
Nothing is theft proof, even HRH found an intruder in her bedroom at Bucks house

Ive also noticed that a lot of members on this forum (myself included) have the same or a very similar user name on other forums and on a certain auction site. Dosn't that auction site give the winning bidder your address!!!
A £1.50 date wheel could cost you your collection.

Food for thought.

·
Registered
2,974 Posts
Three words.

Safety deposit box

Never leave your valuable watches at home! On your wrist or in the bank.
Sorry my friend but a safety deposit box is not the way to go! For total security it is fine but you cant drag them out to look at them every time you want to see them and if you change watches 2-3 times a day as I do having a SDB is not the way.
If you are going to have them constantly tucked away then there is no sense in even having a collection! JMHO:happy:

·
Special Member
1,983 Posts
John you know what since the theft I keep asking myself why was I not wearing the 7016 or the 5126 diver but that rubbish 6139 franken was next to me on the bedside table, the one I posted about building from parts. Well should I have been wearing them, yes because I did not wear them and now they are gone. Now I believe we should wear and enjoy them because unless there on your wrist there just objects of our lust to collect and we don't enjoy them enough because we think they are too precious. I was unlucky and lost some lovely watches but I was not wearing most of them which is sad of me but maybe I've learnt that life throws up some nasty surprises so enjoy the watches you have. Wear them often and don't worry because far worse things can happen than what happened to me.

·
Registered
94 Posts
this is the 3rd such post of theft I have read this week! saddening for sure, they are only material possessions but its the emotional attachment that's the hard part, so what it was only a $300 watch but it took years to find or it was given as a gift or you wore it on that day. this for me is the bit I think I would struggle with. feel for the gents involved and with any luck the culprits will get their at some point.

the best scumbag deterrent known to man :eek:hmy:

·
Registered
3,966 Posts
I like that... almost hidden in plain sight!

I also like longbike's description of the 'Q' Branch solution... What you are missing though are "LASERS"!!

What about this... A tank of piranha... Peli case??
mrwoozza70 , check this out Sir.

I do have laser detector's also, that's what sets my detector's off when
my " Two Guards " come in. So I had to turn it off when they are around
But now it is setup to be directed to the cabinet area that's all.
Friend of mine did it all for me.
NOTE:
The House has its own ..... " Two Detector's " :
The Detector's are ...... " 130 lbs. and 140 lbs. .... when they
are tripped to work properly.
The 140 lb. one, is ...... Samson.
The 130 lb. one, is ...... Wyatt
They automatically turn into ........... " Shredder's ". Hahahaha
They know exactly what to do when .......... " Approached ".

They know exactly who can come in and who cannot, unless
commanded to do different.

·
Registered
3,966 Posts
I would like to point out that this is a public forum, and giving out details of what security you have/have not is probably not a good idea.
Nothing is theft proof, even HRH found an intruder in her bedroom at Bucks house

Ive also noticed that a lot of members on this forum (myself included) have the same or a very similar user name on other forums and on a certain auction site. Dosn't that auction site give the winning bidder your address!!!

Food for thought.
ivor Sir , that is a good point given.

BUT FOR ME ...........,
If the Burglar can get pass my ........ " Two Boys " , he can have everything I own.

I am legal :
" Firearms and for the Ownership of my .... " Doggie's ", to be in my house.
Outside there is a .... " Perimeter Electric Wire " for them.
These Two they know the rules.

It's all up to the Burglars if they want to ....... " Chance It ".

·
Registered
882 Posts

Food for thought.
An even better reason to have everything shipped to work :)

·
Special Member
2,802 Posts
Most of the smart phones we use have a GPS along with built in cameras that record and embed the coordinates of where the photos were taken. It's called geotagging and this information can be viewed in the properties of the photo and pinpoint exactly where the photo was taken. Most digital cameras don't have GPS but smart phones do so make sure in the settings to turn off the camera's access to the GPS before posting photos to the internet.

Here's a little more on the subject...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geotagging

1 - 20 of 37 Posts