The Watch Site banner

81 - 90 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Its funny I bought a DSLR just to take watch pics and they were horrible, now all my watch pictures are taken with my cell and turn out better. Thanks for the guide.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Dead Link

I am really late to the party here and the link to the guide is dead. Anyone know where I can find a copy?

I have a terrible time taking photos of my watches and some guidance would be fantastic.

Thanks!

·
Registered
80 Posts
Thanks a lot. Appreciate you sharing these valuable tips.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6000 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
865 Posts
I only do wrist shots - outdoors, natural light. I think they turn out fine with a decent camera on a mobile phone. I just use my Samsung S9. Most of my photos are taken in a single place where afternoon sunlight reflects off a white wall. This provides good, diffuse, natural light to a wide area. I find it useful to have a number of colours in the shot with the watch - getting green, red and blue into the photo works great for balance. Try to angle the watch so that the best angles (what ever they may be) are presented, take a few photos with slightly different angles and orientation, and select the best one. Crop as needed. Sometimes I'll upload to Google Photos and use the Auto filter, but if it looks unnatural, I'll just go uncorrected. Unwanted reflections off the crystal (particularly with dark-dialed watches) or case are a bit of a pain. Just test the angles.

That's it. Nothing fancy.

·
Registered
885 Posts
I only do wrist shots - outdoors, natural light. I think they turn out fine with a decent camera on a mobile phone. I just use my Samsung S9. Most of my photos are taken in a single place where afternoon sunlight reflects off a white wall.
I do most of my wrist shots outdoors, using a cheapie Panasonic DMC-515 held in my right hand (point and squirt on auto settings). I usually take them in the same place: in the sideway (which runs North / South), between my next door neighbour's house and my own. It's shaded from direct sunlight most of the day, but ample light for photography filters in from either end.

My particular problem is in taking decent wrist shots of 7A38's with domed crystals and dark or black dials. I'm talking especially about the JDM 7A38-6050, the stainless 7A38-6020 and black chrome 7A38-6070. The problem is getting enough light to fall on the dial for the autofocus to work properly - without picking up reflections of my neighbour's house / fence / sky in the domed crystals. :mad:

Any suggestions anybody ?

·
Registered
865 Posts
I think a polarising filter in the form of film or a proper filter attachment should reduce some of the reflection.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Dead Link

I am really late to the party here and the link to the guide is dead. Anyone know where I can find a copy?

I have a terrible time taking photos of my watches and some guidance would be fantastic.

Thanks!
Second this. Anyone have an active link to this? Would love to take a look through it.

Thanks,
Derek

81 - 90 of 90 Posts