The Watch Site banner

21 - 40 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
I've just added the below (plus some more setup images) to the http://thirtyfivemill.com/photographing-watches/"]Guide To Watch Photography[/url].

One of the things I love about amateur photography is learning to innovate and to make do with what you have. Achieving good results in your own home whilst your wife and children whizz all around you is a challenge and forces you to use some real initiative with both your space and your equipment. But, hey, that's half the fun of it for me! Can I achieve results, comparable to a professional in a studio environment, with just a basic, home-made setup stuffed into one corner of my spare bedroom? Well, it nay take me a fraction longer but I think I can!!

Below is my latest and greatest set up which is still quite basic and not too expensive yet very effective indeed. It consists of a light tent, above which is a single Electra Masterlite 1000, supported by two simple backdrop stands. I had to fashion a crossbar out of a spare bit of wood but 15 minutes in the garage with a drill and a sander and job done! The reason a crossbar was needed was simply because I wanted the light shining down from above the light tent and a one stand solution would have left the light angled slightly from one side or the other. I also needed the light up and out of the way as that spare bedroom is not big..



Jocke has a very http://www.nikonforum.se/index.php?/topic/28844-hem-studio/"]similar setup[/url] except he has an acrylic light box with the Masterlite flat on top. My thanks to him for the spending the time to give me all the info on these lights! I believe they will make things a lot easier and allow me to play with light in a different way.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1 Posts
This is what brought me to discover this site. A great article, very well done and just what I needed, and a new watch site. THANK YOU!
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
615 Posts
Really good read, a bit of history on me. I was a professional photographer from about twenty to my very early thirties. We had a photograph a watch assignment when I was in college. This tutorial lays out the simple and effective way to do this. One thing it leaves out is where the hands should be placed. I know this is not a hard fast rule but when I was being taught and this extended to my years as an assistant to multiple commercial photographers was that the minute and hour hands should frame the manufacturer's logo. so 10 and 2 or 2 and 10 usually. We where taught (could have been an urban myth) this was primarily started by swatch to standardize the look and make the logo a focus in the ads. We where also told 90% of the time if the hands where not correct your invoice for would not be paid and you would be ordered to re shoot the job.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,599 Posts
sysadmin said:
I know this is not a hard fast rule but when I was being taught and this extended to my years as an assistant to multiple commercial photographers was that the minute and hour hands should frame the manufacturer's logo. so 10 and 2 or 2 and 10 usually.
Makes alot of sence as draws the eye to the manufacturers name, plus any additional dial text can also be read.

Wish i had read this last night. I think i see an additional photo shoot on my watches in the near future. :57:
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
615 Posts
Some companies don't place the logo at the top so that rule does not apply to them. When we did this in school it was an automatic failing grade if your hands where not correctly placed.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
379 Posts
I don't know where I picked up the link - maybe WuS - but I found this to be a great beginners guide when I started messing about with my first proper camera.

OP please keep it coming, more depth, more updates...

The best purchase was a table top tripod so you can get those long exposures.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
83 Posts
I'd tried to emulate your set up but I think I don't have enough light. I'd gone and bought am 85cm light tent and a 300-LED video light as my primary light for moounting above. But I think the angle of coverage is too small and leaves a hot spot on the top of the light tent without providing sufficient spread. if I lift it higher, the falloff is very significant and I'm not getting the amount of light I want. A longer exposure would be ok, but the second hands start blurring... Sigh... back to the drawing board.





WingTsun said:
Below is my latest and greatest set up which is still quite basic and not too expensive yet very effective indeed. It consists of a light tent, above which is a single Electra Masterlite 1000, supported by two simple backdrop stands. I had to fashion a crossbar out of a spare bit of wood but 15 minutes in the garage with a drill and a sander and job done! The reason a crossbar was needed was simply because I wanted the light shining down from above the light tent and a one stand solution would have left the light angled slightly from one side or the other. I also needed the light up and out of the way as that spare bedroom is not big..

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
882 Posts
One thing you might mention in your camera phone section is that you can use the iPhone earbuds as a remote shutter release. I'm not sure about other phones, but it's quite handily with an iPhone!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12 Posts
Re: Re: A Guide To Photographing Watches

sysadmin said:
We where taught (could have been an urban myth) this was primarily started by swatch to standardize the look and make the logo a focus in the ads.
I thought it was because it made the watch\clock look like it was "smiling", and all the positive things that marketers want come from that.

Did anyone else get a dead link from the OP?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Re: Re: A Guide To Photographing Watches

jfslater98 said:
I thought it was because it made the watch\clock look like it was "smiling", and all the positive things that marketers want come from that.

Did anyone else get a dead link from the OP?

Should be fine. Just clicked it and all was well on my browser. Could have been when we were transferring the site from Wordpress.com to standalone.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
69 Posts
Thank you so very much for your well written guide. It is informative, intuitive and very, very instructional. One of my big ?'s was; Why do my 1mp pics look better than my 3>mp pics. It will take me a bit of time to accumulate, aka MacGyver, the equipment, but at least I know what to scrounge for!

THANKS WING!
:bravo_2:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
42 Posts
product photography

Another guide for 'product' but specifically for photographing cameras is here http://cameras.alfredklomp.com/prodphot

I've found the last few tips about setting the correct white balance, and white & black points and then adjusting the gamma in a graphics program, very helpful - along with trying to use diffused light. Your mileage may vary with that in sunnier climes ....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2 Posts
hi WingTsun,

Thanks for the guide. I have been following your blog and your watch photography...

just curious, what do you use to hold the watch strap? I am referring to the watch holder that makes the watch strap constantly round during the shoot.
 
21 - 40 of 84 Posts
Top