The Watch Site banner

1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A while ago I spent a few days writing a long and detailed Guide To Photographing Watches. It's since been posted on several watch forums and many members seem to have found it useful so I'll post it here, too, if no-one minds and hope it helps some members here capture the beauty of their beloved timepieces.

It's designed for beginners but others may find the odd useful tip, too. It talks you though equipment, basic technique, lighting, set-up, shooting, post-processing, uploading to the net and finally posting on a forum. I hope it helps a few members get into a fun hobby and for others to stay in it and maybe even improve the photos posted daily on the forum.

A Guide To Photographing Watches

If you need to find it in the future there's a link towards the bottom of the right sidebar menu on my blog.

·
Registered
28,397 Posts
Mods, think Wing's post might be useful as a "pinned"?

·
Registered
5,947 Posts
Thank's for the article WingTsun. I have been switching to using my Panasonic TZ3 recently at 1MP in macro mode. 1MP is all you need I agree.

The only thing to watch for is distortion, this sometimes makes the watch look odd.

I must get/make a light tent because my photo's are rubbish, mainly due to using artificial light and the lack of reflection control. Maybe HDR would be fun also.

Mike

·
Registered
370 Posts
Thank you for posting this useful and well written article. I especially appreciated your discussion of the lack of need for cameras of huge megapixel capacity in order to take good watch photos. Good work !!!
John

·
Registered
663 Posts
Thanks, WingTsun, for a well-written and very informative article. I also love the pictures on your site, especially the watch stands - they make a great display platform for your great watches. Now I guess I have to break down and start figuring out what all the little do-dads on my DSLR will do. Maybe I'll have to find the owner's manual and read it . . .

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I'm going to update this guide soon with some pics of how to set things up and also info about a new lighting setup I've just bought in which should work very well and, for most, won't break the bank, either.

1 - 20 of 84 Posts