The Watch Site banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,715 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About six months ago I bought an untouched 5126-8120 square Rally for a good price. I planned on getting it prettied up: serviced and rulumed. After getting the movement serviced, I dropped it off with Carlos,a jeweler who only recently has learned the art of reluming using youtube videos and my watches.

A couple months later he texted me to come in, This is what he laid out on the counter:

Notice anything weird?

Carlos explained that while removing the old lume, he had accidentally scratched the dial. He then taught himself dial restoration, and this was the result.

Well... while Carlos' work seems to me flawless, he of course got the printing all wrong.

I can't be angry at Carlos. We had agreed that if a mishap like this were ever to occur, I would never hold him responsible. Moreover, he went well beyond what I would have expected, learned a whole new set of skills around dial restoration that cost him who knows how many hours?

What to do now? I MAY one day find a replacement dial, but more probably, I never will. They are just too rare. Meanwhile that dial... I just can't...

So, I came up with this idea. The 5126-6010 has the same set of hands and a similar dial aesthetic.

And I have a spare 5126-6010 dial!

Should I pop it in there?

Your thoughts?

·
Registered
90 Posts
If you already have that dial as a spare, and didn't have to rob a complete watch for it, I'd pop it in. I'd rather have a watch assembled out of legit components, even if they're not original, than a watch with a redial.

Bummer, though.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
i don't think it's a bad thing at all, as it's reversible, and you get the satisfaction of creating a never-before-seen
seiko, and in the end, you'll find that dial, i know you will. and, the temporary results, honestly, i think i'd like them
'better than the original, but i am allergic to blue/orange color schemes, and i love black/orange...so i'd change the bezel insert for a contemporary dagaz, preserve the original fpor when ypu find the dial, and have fun wearing it.

i put a black/red bezel insert on my pogue so the mint original will stay as good as new, and also because i like the colr scheme better that way...

and hey, i'd buy that 5126 dial if you don't use it, seriously, i have a beautiful case with a very crappy dial....

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
Great idea and it looks very good! I like the blue SPORTS logo on the replacement dial. Keep on trucking baby.

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk

1 - 6 of 6 Posts