The Watch Site banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been reading through the posts on this site regarding the earlier 6109s, particularly the restoration threads - and started watching the comings and goings on eBay.

What does the forum make of the following listing?
Not looking for a free appraisal, lol - I didn't bid on/buy this watch, just curious whether this was a good buy (original, but work needed?) or something to avoid on my early 6139 adventures.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Seiko-613...n-/111571992724?ssPageName=ADME:B:WNA:GB:3160

Apologies if this post is in the wrong forum, I wasn't quite sure where to put it.

·
Registered
912 Posts
A 6010, 6011 or 6012 would be a fine place to start for sure, the price point will be far lower than a pogue - but you are still getting the same great movement. Look for a gold one you will get an even better bargain.

What you have shown is awful, well done for not buying it.
Fake/aftermarket Dial, sweep hand and sub seconds hand.
Terrible seller to claim that this is a good example - he knows exactly what he has done to this. The collector would not certainly not buy it.

·
Registered
5,973 Posts
There are so many cobbled together 6138/9's on Ebay assembled from junk spares and aftermarket parts. Its truly a minefield for the uninformed buyer and sadly it is diluting the 6139 experience.

Me and Tom (along with lots of other 6139 enthusiasts) spend hours looking out for good unmolested examples and they are few and far between, especially the more uncommon ones at sensible prices.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi, thanks for the feedback :)

I did have that 'feeling' - really like the 6139-6011, had seen examples on this forum and the eBay example just did not sit well with me.

I'll keep looking - and lots to learn from this forum!

·
Registered
4,959 Posts
The 6139 movement is a good start in the world of automatic chronos - as it was (one of) the first automatic chronographs made. But be careful. One thing leads to the other and before you know it, you'll be wanting a second 6139, one or more 6138s, a 7018... ;)

Damn Seiko for making such nice chronos in all these pretty colors... :D

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
I don't collect 6139 chrono's for all of the reasons listed above but even as little as I know about them is it just me or is the whole script missing from the left side of the dial that should say Water70Resist or proof? I have a old used blue dial exactly like that one missing some paint but it has the script Water70Proof on it? A really bad reproduction dial?

·
Registered
6,719 Posts
well it might be a replacement dial...looks very nice

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
I think both the hands and dial are after market. The 601x range can be had for a lot less than the pogue and some other 6138/6139s - unless you're looking at a nice original blue or black dial.

I have a gold dialled version and I just can't seem to love it :-(

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Thanks for the thoughts on 6139s!

I find the design, quality, significance - and 'affordability' of the Seiko world fascinating.

I started with a low cost 7015 8000 late last year, which I've been wearing pretty much daily to see how we got along :)
I'm now looking for something honest, late 60s for an occasional wear, drawn to a blue face 6139 or a Panda.

Does there tend to be a lot of price difference between faces on blue, gold, black 6139-6011 - production related?
Anyone care to give a ball park figure for a nice original blue?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts