The Watch Site banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got this clock to do last week from a woman for her husband for Christmas.

In some rush of blood to the wrong head I said I'd do it for her.

The case has lots of borer holes i the back (some in the front) and when I started stripping off the burn on finish the bottom of the case fell apart:eek:hmy:
The finish was hard to get off - even with quality stripper and sandpaper.

I asked her about getting the dial re silvered but we both thought it would cost too much/take too much time. I've never done one so would have to farm that out.

The movement work was ok - probably about 6 bushes and straighten an escapewheel tooth.
:mad: I found the strike spring was broken in 4 places. I figure she's paying enough for the job so I've flagged the $43 I had to pay for a new spring.

I had to find and modify the pendulum rod as that was missing.
The suspension spring fell apart when I put it in rust killer so I had to get another one.

I buffed/polished the back plate and the case brasswork and clearcoated it.
The case had been black so I located some black stain and re did it. It could do with some oil on it but as the stain is water based that may be a problem. It looks ok:)

Attachments

·
Registered
178 Posts
You make it sound easy but still more work and expertise than some of us can handle.
As for the comment by Dutchsiberia when you mention that you enjoy tinkering with watches you suddenly find that your friends have lots of watches that require fixing.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts