The Watch Site banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My father left me his dad's Hamikton Railway Special (GF worked for the Atchison Topeka in the 30's); I recently discovered my great uncle's Hamilton army issue from WWII AND dad's own Hamilton Estoril (6 oclock date window) which I just sent off for restoration. Guess we've always been American watch family until now.

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
Hamilton, for me, was the best American maker. So many innovations. Including the non -magnetic hairspring in the 992B that trumped anything the Swiss had. And the five-seconds-a-week error USN marine chronometer, which had to do those exceptional stats under battlefield conditions. Think a destroyer maneuvering like crazy dodging aerial torpedoes and bombs while shuddering all the time from the fire of its 3 and 4 inch gun batteries . There was also the U-boat killing sextant-chronometer combo installed in reconnaissance planes that automatically computed position when the pilot snapped a lever, giving destroyers a fix on the enemy. Navigators have been using sextants and timepieces to plot direction for centuries but only Hamilton thought of combining the two and making readings instantaneous

Reactions: Seiko Shepherd

·
Registered
3,100 Posts
My father left me his dad's Hamikton Railway Special (GF worked for the Atchison Topeka in the 30's); I recently discovered my great uncle's Hamilton army issue from WWII AND dad's own Hamilton Estoril (6 oclock date window) which I just sent off for restoration. Guess we've always been American watch family until now.
Do you have any pics?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts