The Watch Site banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi guys,
Just got the Willard X or the 6105 reissue non LE (SPB151/ SBDC109). Its been a while I have not done a review. Used to have 6105-8110, they are beautiful, but I just have no heart to bring them into pool, so I sold them all.

For the benefit of those who are on the fence, I hope this will assist you in your decision. Pardon me for my photo skill.

Size

SLA033SPB151
Diameter45mm42.7mm
Lug to lug49.7mm46.6mm
Thickness13mm13.2mm
Lug size19mm20mm

Smaller as compare to Willard LE. Close to SKX007 and thinner as compare to SKX007.

Crystal

It is stated dual curve sapphire and anti-reflective coating for Willard LE BUT only curve sapphire and anti-reflective coating for Willard X. Hence I suspect it may be different in quality. The crystal on Willard LE is one of the best I have ever seen, as it gives a vintage vibe. Whereas for the crystal on Willard X, though it may be close to the original 6105 with a high dome or beveled curvature on the edge which may collect dust over time, it distort reading from certain angle. It does not happen to Willard LE. The high dome crystal on Willard X does not bode well with the watch. I wonder why Seiko wants to make the crystal like that for this iconic piece? If you read the date from the 3 O’clock the date is distorted. That is the major setback for this Willard X in my opinion.

Hope one day Harold of Yobokies will produce a flatter dome AR crystal.

Dial

Major difference between them is the X

I have a few Swiss watches, I find that their hands mostly proportionate to the dial as a whole. The hands of Willard LE , I find it is a little thin and not proportionate to the huge dial. Whereas for the Willard X the hands are a little thicker compared to Willard LE. These hands are more proportionate. The looks of Willard X seems “cheap” compare to Willard LE. I guess is the bezel finishing and the crystal that cause Willard X to look “cheap” as compare to Willard LE.

This piece will be the SKX of the future. Many models with different dial colour will be produced in the future I believe.

Case

The Willard X wear smaller. My wrist size is 6.5 in, I love the size. Although its stated 42.7mm, owing to the short lug it wears smaller. I strongly recommend this piece for those with smaller wrist size like me.

The crown is unsigned for Willard X, whereas for the Willard LE is signed with “Lock” with the similar teeth like the original 6105

Bracelet vs strap

The original 6105 comes with strap so I prefer the design with the strap. The bracelet design on Willard X is nice with president like bracelet, but I find the tapering to the clasp too wide from 20mm to 18mm. If its 16mm that would be ideal to me. Hence I prefer my modded SKX013 jubilee bracelet . (I use my Dremel to grind the endlink to fit the case).

Movement

SLA033SPB151
Movement8L356R35
Power reserve50 hours70 hours
Accuracy-10/+15 sec/day-15/+25 sec/day
Jewels2624

8L35 works consistently hence the price difference. Whereas the 6R35 the beat per second can fluctuate.
Both can be adjusted easily if you have a Timegrapher to a COSC standard. Willard LE has been adjusted to -1spd from a 5+spd. For the Willard X, straight from the box is +6spd, I will let it settle down and have adjusted to +2spd.

Why Willard

Well the design is iconic, a rare design which looks like a leaf to me. An iconic piece from Seiko owing to its popularity after the movie Apocalypse Now. Long ago I requested the members here to petition to Seiko Japan to ask for reissue of the 6105 and 6309 and after many years they heard our voice and it all started with the SRP777. From then as they said its history.

Subsequently Seiko heard about the call for reissue and Seiko issued SLA017 (the 62 Mas reissue), that was a sold out piece. Then later, came SLA025 and SLA033. I believe these 2 pieces were not sold out quickly as the prices had jump up much more than the SLA017 in comparison.

So being a Seiko fan I bought the Willard LE even though it is more expensive than the SLA017. Then came this Willard X which angered a number of those Willard LE owners and of course me too. How could Seiko issue the similar watch after issued a limited edition? That will make the owner of Willard LE looks like a fool, it should not be an LE in the very first place. LE is a supposedly to be limited and no longer should be issued.
That angered me for some time, no more Seiko I told myself. But then after my AD offer me this Willard X for a good price and being a Seiko fan, well I forgive Seiko J.
On the positive note Willard LE has a better finishing and movement. More true to the original 6105. For those who missed the Willard LE this is a must-have piece if you are a Seiko diver collector. For those Willard LE owner stick well with your piece as Willard X is still a level below the Willard LE in terms of movement and finishing. Here I have both, Willard X will be my Beater , Willard LE will be my dress watch J

Thanks for reading, anyone who like to know more about the difference please feel free to post here. I hope I could answer your question .

·
Registered
143 Posts
Very nice review, thank you. I enjoyed the comparisons between watches.

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have contacted Harold of Yobokies about the crystal, hope he could help to produce a flat AR inner double domed crystal soon.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
After a few days on my wrist I find the movement is very volatile, -7spd flat on the table and +9spd on the wrist , eventually it depends on how long is the watch on my wrist to have a net accuracy . The net so far recorded is +2spd.
8L35 movement is more consistent compare to this 6R35

·
Registered
212 Posts
Thanks for the comparison! I have to say that personally I fail to see the value in SPB151. I don't mind that Seiko made a similar reissue, I bought SLA033 well after SPB151 was announced, if nothing else it pushed the price of SLA033 even further down. The current price of 1,4k doesn't put this watch in a beater category, at least not for me. I don't mind Seiko pushing the prices up, but they should follow with the watch characteristics as well, movement quality, finishing, bracelet, and overall feel which I have to say is a huge disappointment for me. From what I see the watch feels like a repacked SRP777 with a nicer bezel and a new movement for three times the price. I am sure Seiko will come out with non limited version of SLA033 in the future and price it more realistically, somewhere in the Marinemaster range. On several occasions I saw Marinemaster going for around (and even under) 2k during sales which I consider great value for money, SPB151 for a few hundred less as currently priced just isn't. I will skip this reissue and might just get SRP777 and mod it with a nicer bezel to use as a beater.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the comparison! I have to say that personally I fail to see the value in SPB151. I don't mind that Seiko made a similar reissue, I bought SLA033 well after SPB151 was announced, if nothing else it pushed the price of SLA033 even further down. The current price of 1,4k doesn't put this watch in a beater category, at least not for me. I don't mind Seiko pushing the prices up, but they should follow with the watch characteristics as well, movement quality, finishing, bracelet, and overall feel which I have to say is a huge disappointment for me. From what I see the watch feels like a repacked SRP777 with a nicer bezel and a new movement for three times the price. I am sure Seiko will come out with non limited version of SLA033 in the future and price it more realistically, somewhere in the Marinemaster range. On several occasions I saw Marinemaster going for around (and even under) 2k during sales which I consider great value for money, SPB151 for a few hundred less as currently priced just isn't. I will skip this reissue and might just get SRP777 and mod it with a nicer bezel to use as a beater.
You've made a wise decision to get the best SLA033. I hope Seiko do not issue anymore of this SLA033 in a non LE so that our SLA033 remains as LE. I got the SPB151 under USD1K, otherwise I wouldn't buy it. For those scouting for one, you may have to wait a little longer to get a better discount as the hype is still high now.

·
Special Member
4,891 Posts
Bulls eye on the options right above it with the mm. Same goes for a vintage 6105.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Fantastic write up. Thank you !

This was a great comparison photo :giggle:
View attachment 452529
i love this photo because it ahows how much smaller the willard x is than the srp777. i was led to believe, by a man from oz, on another site, that the case of the spb151 was almost identical to the srp, and here we can see that there's not much similarity, and that the spb looks like it'll wear a lot smaller than the srp.

does anyone have any clarification on this watch's thickness ? i've seen 13.2, 14, and 15mm put out there as the dimension, and wtf? don't calipers give us a pretty good reading? 13.2 is seiko's number, but i feel they're dissembling, i suspect that is a case-back-to-bezel-top measurement. can anyone clarify, please?

·
Registered
212 Posts
You've made a wise decision to get the best SLA033. I hope Seiko do not issue anymore of this SLA033 in a non LE so that our SLA033 remains as LE. I got the SPB151 under USD1K, otherwise I wouldn't buy it. For those scouting for one, you may have to wait a little longer to get a better discount as the hype is still high now.
Are you using the same bracelet on both watches? Would you mind sharing a photo of the bracelet and the end link from the front side?

·
Registered
1,798 Posts
Just saw this comparison write-up, thanks for this! The true (and true to the original) 4 o'clock crown on the SLA jumps out at me....or rather, the non-true one on the SPB. Wish they'd do true 4 o'clock crowns on these guys like on the older divers (7002 and earlier).

·
Registered
247 Posts
Thank you for the comparison.
I just traded away a 6105 that just did not give me a thrill. I also traded off a 6306 (frankly, I prefer the 6306 and will probably hunt another down in the future).
If I ever get the hankering for the offset lobes, seems like the Willard X is the one for me. Maybe in a couple years they'll improve the crystal and soften the lume's blobby glossiness. And offer more colors; the blue and green are great, how about some gilt trim and maybe a texture LE!
At $1k - and assuming the bracelet isn't crap - it is definitely a compelling buy.

·
Special Member
4,891 Posts
Just saw this comparison write-up, thanks for this! The true (and true to the original) 4 o'clock crown on the SLA jumps out at me....or rather, the non-true one on the SPB. Wish they'd do true 4 o'clock crowns on these guys like on the older divers (7002 and earlier).
Same same, T.
..but a clone 6105-8000 with an nh35 is spot on

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7 Posts
Thanks for the comparison.

Concerning the crown, do you believe that is it possible to install on the Willard X the Willard LE crown signed with “Lock” ? I really do not like the simple SPB151 crown.

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks for the comparison.

Concerning the crown, do you believe that is it possible to install on the Willard X the Willard LE crown signed with “Lock” ? I really do not like the simple SPB151 crown.

Thanks in advance
Hi Engi, I am not a watchmaker, I have no idea about that. But in the first place would you be able to secure a LOCK crown for the SLA033? This is a very limited item

1 - 20 of 29 Posts