The Watch Site banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9,869 Posts
Love that kind of travel clock

I purchased this jaeger couture alarm clock from a local flea market last week probably not must interest to the hardcore watch guys but a true piece of swiss engineering. It cost me £15
We sometimes forget how important it was in the pre-digital age for traveling people to have a reliable, small alarm clock. Does it tick loudly?

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
I'm a clockmaker/repairer emmm you might have guess by the name :D Here's one I recently restored. It was a London hand made skeleton clock c1840 which I sold to a chap who makes wristwatches also still by hand in Switzerland. It's now in his museum :cool:

·
Super Moderator
2,059 Posts
I'm a clockmaker/repairer emmm you might have guess by the name :D Here's one I recently restored. It was a London hand made skeleton clock c1840 which I sold to a chap who makes wristwatches also still by hand in Switzerland. It's now in his museum :cool:

That's not a clock, its a mechanical work of art, and i could sit and watch that working away all day long. (pun not intended).
As for restoring it, i envy your skills

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
That's not a clock, its a mechanical work of art, and i could sit and watch that working away all day long. (pun not intended).
As for restoring it, i envy your skills
They are good fun the skeleton clocks :) I hate having to sell them!

·
Registered
3,937 Posts

From one that 'fu see' to in the museum where many will see:D

Beautiful clock and workmanship.

I'm a watch and clock maker. I really only did antique clocks during my apprenticeship etc but hardly ever do a clock now.
I do enjoy (apart from one that's playing up on my bench now) the ones I do and get right for customers :)

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
From one that 'fu see' to in the museum where many will see:D

Beautiful clock and workmanship.

I'm a watch and clock maker. I really only did antique clocks during my apprenticeship etc but hardly ever do a clock now.
I do enjoy (apart from one that's playing up on my bench now) the ones I do and get right for customers :)
Yes that was a great honor :) I'm just starting on watches so fiddly! This is the chaps website who brought my skeleton clock:

http://www.arnoldandson.com/

I'll go visit it one day! Want to see all those tall blonde women anyway!!!

·
Registered
111 Posts
Yes that was a great honor :) I'm just starting on watches so fiddly! This is the chaps website who brought my skeleton clock:

http://www.arnoldandson.com/

I'll go visit it one day! Want to see all those tall blonde women anyway!!!

ARNOLD !?? you mean THE Arnold of marine chronometer fame from way back when?? it is an honour to be allowed to lay hands on such a clock!

I love Seiko Divers, feel sad and lonely without a Tuna on my wrist, but the history of time measurement doesn't belong to Seiko, and he who loveth mechanical movements cannot limit his interest to wristwatches only !!

Beautiful clocks... and the world is full of them, with ridiculous lack of interest generally : apart for a few extremely important historical timepieces (le Roy, Breguet, etc.) the rest of the "market" is sadly disregarded by the (filthy rich) people who compete in dropping millions on Pateks only.

Thanks for the pics, and bravo to those who restore / repair these beauties.................Philip

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
ARNOLD !?? you mean THE Arnold of marine chronometer fame from way back when?? it is an honour to be allowed to lay hands on such a clock!

I love Seiko Divers, feel sad and lonely without a Tuna on my wrist, but the history of time measurement doesn't belong to Seiko, and he who loveth mechanical movements cannot limit his interest to wristwatches only !!

Beautiful clocks... and the world is full of them, with ridiculous lack of interest generally : apart for a few extremely important historical timepieces (le Roy, Breguet, etc.) the rest of the "market" is sadly disregarded by the (filthy rich) people who compete in dropping millions on Pateks only.

Thanks for the pics, and bravo to those who restore / repair these beauties.................Philip
It was my clock and it was by Smith & Son's of Clerkenwell. I sold it to a watchmaker who makes & I believe designs watches for Arnolds & Sons but yep same company. Those early clock & watchmakers are the clocks I work on and sell. I've had Dents (Big Ben aka St Stephens tower clock not the bell), John Thwaites clocks brought by Nelson for Lady Hamilton & her husband and other makers of repute. The skele in the photo was my personal clock for a while but I decided to move it along and that chap brought it and stuck it in his family clockmaking museum back in Switzerland :) It is a joy working on historic clocks I have to say.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts